motobecane

sean g

Dirt Disciple
need help please , first post complete novice , i am in to camping wild and am looking at touring on a bike , i have a road bike here i need to sell to buy me a touring bike here goes 1978 motabecane ? atom hubs mavic rims shimano 600 gears weiman brakes just going to post pictures soon and numbers please can you tell me how much i can get for it or swop for a touring bike with panniers etc thanks sean

motobecane001.jpg

A fellow wild camper. Welcome!
Are you sure you want a touring bike? After years of using one, I switched to a rigid mountain bike and find it a lot more comfortable and adaptable. Also use a BOB Yak trailer and much prefer it for gnarly touring, or just a small backpack when keeping things light..

Can't help with the valuation I'm afraid, -try the 'what's it worth' thread.

hi ya wild camper , tell you the truth i i dont know what i want lol , i have ridden this and its hairy its fast and dont feel safe on it .somthing light weight but sturdy will do like the trailer idea

What you have would be perfect for rambling along - just fit wider profile tires, rack, mudguards and if possible a smaller front chainring

legrandefromage":3rlh1hek said:
What you have would be perfect for rambling along - just fit wider profile tires, rack, mudguards and if possible a smaller front chainring

Fair point. It's quite a decent bike you have there and would be fine for light, short term camping if adapted as suggested. If your gonna use it offroad and'll be carrying it through the undergrowth a bit, I wouldn't bother with mudguards though, -they just get snagged and in the way.
Oh -and fit good brake blocks also!

I think I spy TA Cyclotourist cranks which are very robust.

I've been 'off-road' on a 1974 frame & forks and some well built 27 inch wheels - no worse than £1300 worth of GT. Just depends on how 'off-road' ;)

Michelin World Tour are the classic tire for bimbling around on and still available here & there.

just had another look takagi chainset tyres keverlar blizzard . found a no 4760344 on the rear seat stay sr all double dutch to me stamped on hadle bar grip is brev motabecane fab hutchinson

Back