chain for 8 speed campa

cheap sedis/sachs/sram thingy for about a fiver. Bit more if you want one metal plated.

the SRAM 8s chains (PC68?) made a *huge* improvement in the shift quality of my campy 8s, over the sachs i'd run previously.

Any Campy 9 speed chain will work.

There have only been record chains available for several years now (they are half the price of 10 speed anyway :) )

Andy

As already mentioned, 9 speed chains are fine as well.

I use the same SRAM PC971 chains on all my 9spd bikes and my old 8spd Record gearset bike.

I've seen many Shimano and Campag chains fail, and have never seen an SRAM fail when the 'magic-link' has been used to attach the ends. So I'd recommend SRAM over the usual choices. I've always reckoned that chains will fail where they've been joined using a chain rivet tool, as this will become the 'weakest link'. I think the rivets are cold fitted in the factory, and links joined up post-manufacture cannot compete in terms of a secure fit. That's just my opinion anyway - I'm sure there's much debate over this. But I read that pro-team mechanics use SRAM magic links to join chains.

Just in case you're interested, I thought I'd mention that the only difference between 8spd and 9spd cassettes is the spacers between the sprockets. So I actually use dismantled 9spd Shimano cassette sprockets with 8spd Campag spacers to build my 8spd cassette. In my opinion this gives better shifting compared to the old 8spd Campag sprockets. It follows that you can also use 9spd cassette bodies/rear hubs too as they're the same width. I've been running an 9spd Ultegra rear hub and sprockets with my 1993 8spd Record ergoshifters/rear derailleaur for years now.

8s campy cogs on a 9s campy body will chew it up in a hurry...the 8s bodies were steel and the splines much shallower. on the 9s alloy bodies there is not enough surface area on the shallow steel splines to adequately spread the load from an 8s cog. ask me how i know...

also, to clarify...9s cogs will work in an 8s drivetrain only on a 9s body. the deeper splines won't go onto an 8s body.

this assumes all campy parts. i've no experience w/campy-shimaNO hybrids (gasp!).

Back