Help with downtube shifters

Pointer

Retro Guru
I have no knowledge of road bikes, coming from a MTB background, my project is nearly complete now with just a few remaining bits and bobs to sort out. I went to fit my Shimano shifters to my frame, the bosses on the frame don't seem to fit the shifters..how many different type of bosses are there? The frame is a 90's MTrax Titanium (yep the bonded ones that fall apart), all of my other components seem to fit so I don't understand why these shouldn't. The shifter in the background is just resting on the boss, it doesn't fit.

Can anyone advise, am I doing something really stupid?!
Pic below:
SNC15781.jpg

you need the bit that goes between the frame and the shifter which I cant bloodywell find a picture of.

Hi LGF - thanks for your help
Do you mean the bit that has a concave cut out (to fit against the frame?) I can see how the back of the shifter locates within these, but I only have some with the concave back. Do they also come with flat ones - so that they would fit the boss in the pic?

I've never seen flat ones - your bosses look very unusual
:D

The only ones like them are a par of bar-end shifters.

I suggest judicious use of a file on the shifter parts.

Oh no! This is the answer I was dreading! :D
I guess somebody out there might have a similar frame, dynatech's and Mtrax bonded ones from the early 90's?

these are what you need

found on bar end shifters and cheap band on down tube shifters

Attachments

• widgets.jpg
    widgets.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 949
These are fittings that were (are?) quite standard with Shimano DT levers so they will fit Campag (or similar) brazed-on DT bosses. Can be found at jumbles etc.

Not sure if they're still made though, I could do with a couple of pairs myself.

Ok this is driving me crazy now, I have been sent one or two of these by some kind folk but both times they have arrived they turned out to be the wrong type! DOES ANYONE HAVE TWO FLAT SPACERS?!!! Cash is waiting!

The ones in the picture from LGF are perfect, flat NO CURVES! I have phoned so many shops, trawelled through ebay for weeks but I just cannot find any...anyone please or I will have to go single speed :?

I have finally found some of these, in the US though! I cannot believe that nobody has any here?! Anyway the bike will be finished as soon as I receive these, thanks to all who have helped out!

God bless America :D

Back