Alan Frames - the definitive article?

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
Following on from my 'Cycling Aids' thread, this is just one of the gems found. As I've mentioned before on various threads, Alans were glued and screwed and this advert describes how it was done.

Attachments

• 76_p82_83.A.jpg
    76_p82_83.A.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 5,387
Cheers Ned. A ride on mine is in order soon then. What date is the mag you got that out of? Those pencil line drawings could be of my bike. They are identical in every way. How often did the Alan design/finishing change?

Iwasgoodonce":2vvyqpm3 said:
Cheers Ned. A ride on mine is in order soon then. What date is the mag you got that out of? Those pencil line drawings could be of my bike. They are identical in every way. How often did the Alan design/finishing change?

Get out there! It won't fall apart under you - or at least it shouldn't!

Going by the dates of the World Champions (Gevers was Amateur Road Champ in '75) I would say the date was in the late-ish 70's?

I don't think the design changed much at all over the years. A case of 'if it works why change it' I suppose. Not like today when we get a 'new' model each year.

I think I know where there is a Cyclo-Cross version hanging in an old mate's garage. Used to be his son's. Trouble is his son his very tall so it will probably be to big for me. He also has a Duralinox which is my size.

EDIT - just been looking in the 'Aids' files and found another page of Alan info. This is dated '81 and the other page above is dated '76. This gives all the sizing info and also mentions other versions including one with a different seat cluster arrangement. It doesn't mention the 'Cross version though which is rather odd.

Attachments

• 81_p46.A.jpg
    81_p46.A.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 5,357
Interesting read

My current road-Alan is like the Super model described. My bike is called 'Super Record' to be exactly. The Guerciotti cross model I owned was more like the Competition, with bolted stays.

Pic 1: Super Record road, showing cut outs, in case of my bike painted black
Pic 2: idem, now also showing aero stays
Pic 3: cross model with bolted stays

3531594732_c7e4180dc2.jpg
3614570092_267b680675.jpg
472478508_898ca1e52d.jpg

On the largest classified site overhere I now spot a cross frame with detailling like the Super (Record), so with cut outs in the lugs and streamlined tail. 'Super Cross'? So that excists too.

Derivative for Colnago >>

col6.jpg

..and there was also with aluminum tubing and in cross edition. Actually it looks like ALAN is more or less the race/cross equivilent of Verlicchi with their early DH mountainbikes. Both Italians relied on and pioneered with al, conquered titles and supplied their design, with or without some modifications, to multiple other brands.

Top information that, thanks. Interesting to see the variations that were available.

Now I know why Colnago's go so well - they have a gearbox!

Hi,

I got the page of the Bulgier site. More of the English in the Colnago catalogues is not so good. I would think it would have kept me from buying from them. If they already can't get that right in their official communication, what to expect from a complicated structure as a frame that needs attention to detail and dedication.

The Al tubing one > here

I realize I'll soon have to make my Alan ready for a photoshoot :)

Latest posts

Back