In the boot: Alan Super Record

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Happy to got hands on this one :) Lightweight bling al chassis with nice candy allover. Pics give an impression. Of course I will get it out my car and make some proper pics asap ;)

3530779461_85bde1bf9b_b.jpg

50th mech :) >

fresh hoods :) >>

former owner did a good job on polishing the parts :) >>>

3531595702_43616f1aab.jpg
3530783673_f463de2128.jpg
3531599098_c4eae86035.jpg

Brief speclist:

much Super Record
50th r-mech
black Dura Ace brake callipers
Cinelli cockpit
Brooks Professional

59cm, my size :cool: Confident this will be a great rider.

I have an Alan in a similar size. The frame 'gives' under hard climbing power but only in a good way. It almost seems to spring you along as well as being the most comfortable frame I have ever ridden.

You will not be disapointed.

Alan

Another lovely find mate.
Looks to have been lovingly cared for and treated with the respect it deserves!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Jamie

Looks great. At least it's screwed and glued and not just glued!

Wish I could find one in such good condition (at a giveaway price. :twisted: ;) )

Yes, Yum Yum :D

I do think this the right frame for me, including the 'whipy' character, as I am a light person and I am planning it for touring and mild racing.

So screwed and glued? Interesting. If I screw something with normal glue I think the properties of the glue will be damaged. Must have been a special glue and/or screwing technique.

I know Miyata used a kind of fish hook technique at their connections.

Vitus used heating right?

Yep, the ends of the tubes are threaded and 'screw' into the lugs, Alan mention it in their publicity material and the old UK importers also said this.

If you give it some thought, the sequence of assembly is interesting. There is one joint which is not 'screwed'. I believe the sequence was -

Head tube into top and bottom head lug

Top tube into head lug.

Down tube into head lug

Bottom bracket onto down tube

Seat lug onto top tube

Seat tube passed through seat lug and screwed into bottom bracket BUT the top joint with the seat lug is 'merely' stuck as it is a physical impossibility to 'screw' both ends.

Seat and chainstays are screwed, glued and bolted as necessary.

As far as I know (and I'm willing to be corrected in the light of better knowledge) Vitus and TVT etc. are 'only' glued, perhaps the heating was to help cure the adhesive. However, all the adhesives are aerospace type quality with superior bonding characteristics to everyday epoxies etc. (eg Araldite).

I'd still not turn my nose up at one!

I thought the tubing was heated, the lug was put in and after cooling down it should be create a very tight fit. Have heard it was also the reason why the carbon ones were slightly less durable. Carbon tubing can't be heated like aluminum can.

I am wondering whether they (Alan, Vitus and co) will ever get the appreciation quality steel frames of the same era get now. The aesthetics should not be the problem. Imo a well polished such frame like in my boot looks ace. The palmares is also there.

I think they will, a Guercotti badged Alan in New Zealand recently went for comparitive price to a similar era steel italian bike recently (I forget the name).

I still love my Vitus, very comfortable light and holds up fine to my abuse. Though I did stand next to it the other day, stood on the pedal and tested the bottom bracket deflection :shock: it moves about as much as my steel e-stay which are notorious for flexy bottom brackets. It gets checked for cracks every month or so and nothing yet. :)

Hi Mike,

I did have a Guerciotti like you're mentioning. The cross edition to be exactly.

472475220_788bae6b04_b.jpg

Unfortunately it had to go when I were moving and I sold a few bikes to free me from some storage issues. A loss, true. Now that is more or less corrected :)

Back