Stem sizes?

Pointer

Retro Guru
Apologies in advance for my ignorance here..I am building up a road bike (Im a Mtber!), I have a lovely 3TTT stem which I was hoping to use with some modern (sorry) aero bars (26mm). Having tried to fit them to the stem, I now think the stem is 1" (25.4mm) as it fits BUT only just.
Does that sound correct? I certainly didn't force the stem on, but it is a lot tighter than it should be, I'm reluctant to use this combination.

Is this very wrong? does anyone do this?! I also have some old Cinelli bars which are larger, 26.4?
Advice would be very welcome.

I have some 3T bars which I think are smaller than this but I haven't actually measured them. Next time I'm in the shed with my vernier calipers I will as I want to know myself!

Bit of a minefield is bar diameters!

Thanks for the replies, I don't have any vernier calipers/ or a way of measuring it accurately but I think it must be 25.4mm as it is far tighter than any other stem I've fitted. My worry is that I may stress the casting too much when I tighten it up on the bars, i've already scratched the bars fitting it. :?

Back