Vinatage Dura Ace can someone help???????????

juzzels

Retro Newbie
I have dug out from the back of my garage my prized vintage road bike, i bought it in 1986 and was told it was from the late 1960/early 70's it is made by Walvale which was a local frame builder in Liverpool. The bike has a mix of Campagnolo Record and Dura Ace, with a Regina 5 Speed casette on Campag large flange Record hubs with competition Champion tubular rims. I'm just wondering to the age of these components and if there is any value to these? I've attached a pic of the rear mech[/img]

Juzzels,

I do not see a pic.

What could be helpfull for you is VeloBase.com. For identifying components.

I do not know of DA mechs that are really worth much.

If it's prized, why are you selling it?
Don't think you'll be able to retire on the proceeds. You can't give away alloy tubs anymore.

No pic for me to see either but by the sound of it I would say the components generally match the age of the bike. 6 speed came in around mid 60's. However, Shimano didn't appear until the early 70's, and early Dura-Ace mechs were named 'Crane' so the mech might be a replacement (if it is a Shimano one).

Are the components, hubs etc. in good condition and working well? This will affect their possible value.

I take it you can't remember when you fitted all the components, or were they fitted when you bought it?. Walvale were a good Liverpool builder, I remember them well. What happened to the shop, are they closed now?

I am not at all an expert, but I think the pretty simple rule of thumb is:
If it is not Campag and not NOS it ain't worth a lot.
Just go on t'bay and follow a few auctions, you will soon get an idea of the going rate.

Back