Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:57 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:40 pm 
Retro Guru

bushpig wrote:
Not tanwall, but I like Contis, which still look good. I caution against older Turbos. I have have three self destruct (the tire peeled away from the casing) after about 5km each.

This seems to be a recurring issue with NOS road tyres. I've raided the inventory of old rubber at my LBS a number of times and old tyres just seem to age in an instant once you begin using them. I've had turbos peel, Vittoria twin treads separate where the compounds meet, and a pair of lovely circa 1985 Avocet Fasgrips go from brand new to perished unrideable in the space of weeks, mostly while hanging up in a basement.

Veloflex are probably the best racy option, and being available in a 20 is a plus for 80s and 90s bikes too IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:42 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I've just ordered some Velofelx, keen to see how they are as i've never used them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:26 am 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

shogun wrote:
bushpig wrote:
Not tanwall, but I like Contis, which still look good. I caution against older Turbos. I have have three self destruct (the tire peeled away from the casing) after about 5km each.

This seems to be a recurring issue with NOS road tyres. I've raided the inventory of old rubber at my LBS a number of times and old tyres just seem to age in an instant once you begin using them. I've had turbos peel, Vittoria twin treads separate where the compounds meet, and a pair of lovely circa 1985 Avocet Fasgrips go from brand new to perished unrideable in the space of weeks, mostly while hanging up in a basement.

Veloflex are probably the best racy option, and being available in a 20 is a plus for 80s and 90s bikes too IMO.

Hmm... I have a couple bikes specced with Fasgrips for a while now and they are fresh and hold up perfectly fine. Possibly your LBS stores their tyres poorly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:47 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

18c!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... _600wt_905

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:21 am 
Retro Guru

Elev12k wrote:
shogun wrote:
bushpig wrote:

Hmm... I have a couple bikes specced with Fasgrips for a while now and they are fresh and hold up perfectly fine. Possibly your LBS stores their tyres poorly?

Straight out of boxes, had been stored in a dry basement. Went from soft and smooth to hard and cracked in a little over a month once fitted to the bike, seemed to age 25 years in 5 weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:26 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Thanks for all the suggestions! Just noticed these handmade Gommitialia tyres at BLB - £40 a pair. http://bricklanebikes.co.uk/page/6

The Specialized turbo s tyres look good value at £15 a pair - are 25mm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:28 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Got my 'Veloflex Pave/Master 2010 22mm 180gr tyre' though and tried them today. Felt great, fast, good on corners. Feel sticky though so we'll see how they last.