steel frames.....any recommendations?

mauricer

Senior Retro Guru
I have been riding a Klein Stage Comp T so far but after trying out my brothers Eddy Merckx MX Leader i think it is time for steel frame. I have the feeling that they ride so much better - at least this one does.

so as i am looking around i have seen cinelli supercorsas, tommasini tecno's but wanted to know if someone around here has any good recommendations on steel frames (which not only the superrich can afford) - new and old ones. i have a full dura ace groupset from last year, so everything ready to start. a bit of a classic-modern mix you know....

I think you could do a lot worse than one of the Raleigh Special Products division ones.
Roadies are fussy buggers, and this means you can sometimes get them for suprisingly little.
Why not put up a wanted ad here and see what comes up?
As for new, see what comes up. But Eddisons springs to mind.

speaking from experience 531 is 'awesome'

I had a 753 custom Raleigh which was increadibly light, esp due to the size of the beast! but this tubing is REAL flexi and I ended up cracking the seat tube just above the BB but I was running it fixed at the time.

For contemporary builds - Salsa, IF (Independent Fabrication), Roberts or Rock Lobster (US). Roberts will build you a bike for life tailored uniquely to you.

Steel frames

I have a Merckx Corsa Extra and its ride is superb.
Another that I have often looked at is a new Gios, they do a lovely steel frame for around £500 new.
Bianchi have just released a steel bike with chromed lugs and old style decals, the Dolomiti.
I must admit I really like the GIOS ;)

Jamie

anything columbus sl/slx/tsx

=]

im going from slx steel to klein, so im doing the exact oposit :)

the slx feels soooo good though, im not going to lie.

IMO De Rosa Primato/Neo Primato or Merckx Strada SL, Corsa Extra SLX or (& if you can find one in correct size) MX leader.

FWIW I ride the three merckx classics listed and find that the 'Strada' & 'Corsa' flex a little (only a little) when sprinting. When I built up the MX leader it was like a reawakening. If you're a 180lb plus rider the MAX tubing lives up to it's expectations (have not doubt).

Back