Varnish over transfers

Cab

Retro Guru
Just put some waterslide transfers on a frame, the supplier (H Lloyd Cycles) recommend varnishing over for durability. It should be an oil based varnish, cellulose or acrylic will damage the transfer. Any recommendations? (spray on preferably) Or how well do they last without varnish?

I bought Humbrol Gloss Cote. BUT I managed to pull off the transfer on the other side of the tube with the masking tape, as I overlapped it slightly. I then gently rubbed it and it came off easily, so clearly they need to be varnished to prevent scratching.

Fiddly job. I now have to buy three more transfers, as I messed up the seat tube ones.

Damn fiddly things, waterslides. I had to buy 4 to get 2 on right. I'm just clumsy. Got them looking right, though. I fussed around pointlessly phoning local art shops etc., then I spotted this down Wilko's:

Framebits002.jpg

Plasti-kote project paint, neat little 100ml aerosol, works a treat.
They don't really describe the make-up on the can, most brands don't, so I tested it on one of the transfers I messed up & left it a few days to make sure.

the reason for not using cellulose paint is because the solvent attacks some plastic, in seconds. As above, if you can use a spare bit to test on it will be obvious if its ok.

tomatoevousparlour":84rluml8 said:
I love they way you managed to mount that can onto the frame, so next time u chip the paint its ready:D

Just hope I don't get thirsty!

Certainly did, also masked the 2 downtube transfers as one piece as it would have to be thinner tape than I could find. Thats how a lot of vinyl stickers were, a pair printed opposing directions on one piece to wrap over. The edge is certainly no more obvious than vinyl, probably less.

Back