Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:15 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:36 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi There

I am looking at buying a supposedly 20 year old Biemmezeta bike with Shimano 600 AX parts.

It looks very nice - but i have never heard about the brand before. A quick internet search did not reveal much besides something about Biemmezeta being a italian factory that built for other brands and only in small quantities under own name.

Nothing on Sheldonbrown or classicrendeveouz either.

The frame is branded "Biemmezeta" on the headtube and "BMZ" on seatstays.

Does anyone have some info regarding Biemmezata ?

Last edited by Razer on Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:33 pm 
Retro Guru

I would guess "Biemmezeta" is how "BMZ" is pronounced in Italian: bi-emme-zeta, similar to Gipiemme (GPM).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:47 pm 
Dirt Disciple

fiks wrote:
I would guess "Biemmezeta" is how "BMZ" is pronounced in Italian: bi-emme-zeta, similar to Gipiemme (GPM).

Yes, you should be right about that i reckon.

I bought it as it looked like a good deal, eventhough i have no clue which tubeset has been used, no decals on the bike at all. But it has a nice colour :D and for 130EUR it cannot be all bad.

Lugged steel frame, Shimano 600 AX components and Shimano Aero stem/handlebar.

And it is in very good condition, it nearly only needs a rubdown, a bit of oil and realignment of the handlebartape. Then I should be go to go (ride)

Pictures now on first post - what do you think ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:18 pm 
Retro Guru

I think you bought a nice bike there! It doesn't change anything, but keep in mind that the 600AX set is probably not original if you would pursuit the frame history, as you might have noticed by the little cable stop onder the chainstay close to the dropouts.
Congratulations!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:12 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Yes, i think you are right. Also the headset is a Campagnolo and the crankset is a newer version 600 too.

The AX brakes look cool, but as far as i have tested them by now : they brake like c...

So i am considering moving over my Dura-Ace 7400 brakes and levers together with some older DA derailleurs that i have lying around too.

I will call the previous owner to check the history and what he has changed from the original version. He might know the tubeset type also.

Senri wrote:
I think you bought a nice bike there! It doesn't change anything, but keep in mind that the 600AX set is probably not original if you would pursuit the frame history, as you might have noticed by the little cable stop onder the chainstay close to the dropouts.
Congratulations!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:15 pm 
Old School Hero

Sure is a nice looking bike. You may be able to give a clue about an old frame I've got: that ax rear mech, is the cable guide part of the mech, or does it mount to holes in the frame like these?

Though Old Ned already gave this advice:
If the rear drop-outs are Campag (which they look like), the small holes (which should be threaded) are for fitting their short-lived 'Porticattaneo' device which was a curved alloy casting that screwed to these holes and onto which the chain was allowed to 'derail' by a special down-tube lever. This enabled the rider to remove the rear wheel without the chain coming off etc. so (theoretically) providing quicker wheel changes in races (and not getting your hands so dirty!).

Just wondered!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:02 pm 
Dirt Disciple

On my frame the cable guide is a integrated part of the rear derailleur.

If you google for Shimano ax rear derailleur pictures you will see the cableguide on top.

Cab wrote:
Sure is a nice looking bike. You may be able to give a clue about an old frame I've got: that ax rear mech, is the cable guide part of the mech, or does it mount to holes in the frame like these?

Though Old Ned already gave this advice:
If the rear drop-outs are Campag (which they look like), the small holes (which should be threaded) are for fitting their short-lived 'Porticattaneo' device which was a curved alloy casting that screwed to these holes and onto which the chain was allowed to 'derail' by a special down-tube lever. This enabled the rider to remove the rear wheel without the chain coming off etc. so (theoretically) providing quicker wheel changes in races (and not getting your hands so dirty!).

Just wondered!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:17 am 
Old School Hero

Neat picture, thanks for your help there. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the 'Porticattaneo' that Old Ned describes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:00 am 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

I have the frame fixed part in my 'bits box' so I'll get a picture took and post it. The special gear levers went years ago on an old winter bike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:08 am 
Old School Hero

Sorry I doubted your advice there Ned! I just didn't spend much time with bicycles in the 80's, trying to fill the gaps now.