Help with Campagnolo components

pistolpedro

Old School Hero
Hi guys
I’m currently putting a bike together for use on the road, the bike came with a Campagnolo chainset “veloce” and also a Campagnolo front mech “Daytona”

The bike dates from the late 90’s so I’d ideally like to keep it period although I’m pretty flexible
Been looking at Campagnolo components on ebay to complete the bike
Before I buy anything I want to make sure that I’m getting the right thing

Have a few questions any help would a great :D

What year did campagnolo stop producing 8 speed ?

Will an older 8 speed cassette fit on a modern wheel?

Am I right in thinking that you can only use 8 speed levers with and 8 speed mech? 9 speed levers with a 9 speed mech etc

Are 8 speed ergos pretty hard to find? (I really like the ones which have both metal brake and gear levers)

Is there a site that explains the range of Campagnolo components e.g chorus, Daytona, record, veloce etc ?

Does the distance between the rear drop outs have any effect on the maximum number of gears you can fit?

Pete

The best starting point is Campag's own website and www.campyonly.com

The mechs are broadly interchangeable, but beware that the whole range underwent a big shift in 2001, with the mech moving a different amount per cable pull at that time. So there are two systems if you like. The difference is where the pivot bolt is located - on the top is pre-01, on the bottom of the parallelogram is post 2001.

The GOOD news is that the shifter ratchet thingies are actually interchangeable between all the ergopower levers. There are essentially three generations: pointy top (-98 ), round top (98-07) and 11 speed (07-). Ratchets are around £30 and Mercian cycles in Derby does a refit service, although you can do it at home if you have mechanical sympathy and patience.

On to 8 and 9 speed. 8 and 9 share the same freehub body size, but the spline depth changed. You can upgrade an 8 to 9 with a new hub body (still available). 8s cassettes are not so easy to find - try www.campyoldy.com
The work around is to buy a 9s cassette and fit new 8s spacers which fit the 9s splines and ditch one cog. I think there is also a thread about this on the CTC forum.

All hubs in recent history are 130mm and so interchange OK.

Campag stuff (especially the pre-2001) is very rebuildable - so while it's a faff on at first it's worth persisting. It also lasts well. I run a 9s system with upgraded 1996 Record ergos, 1994 Record hubs and a 10s Centaur chainset. The components are better finished and more wear resistant than Shimano.

I was unaware that you could upgrade an old 8 speed lever to 9 speed, by changing the internals. Did I read and understand that right?
I remember switching internals on my C. Record syncro downtube levers. I'm sure I went from 7 to 8 speed, as I have no idea why else I'd be busy inside there. In fact I think the little syncro cogs are the only thing I have left of that bike, and they're sat in an old bike tool box.

My road bike is about to go under the make-over process and I was wondering when my Campagnolo 8 speed cassette would give up, and whether I should change to 9 speed. My only reason for 9 speed would be the increase in spare parts and relatively low purchase price v's 8 speed, but then again, Campagnolo stuff never breaks, or wears out! I would simply retain the spacers and switch cassette cogs to suit, if and when it wears out.

pistolpedro":1a5jznei said:
What year did campagnolo stop producing 8 speed ?

Depends on the groupset.... but 8 speed is still available with regard to cassettes and chains. It got dropped on Athena and below from around 2000.

Will an older 8 speed cassette fit on a modern wheel? ?

Yes it will - but please don't do it as you will destroy the alloy freehub splines. Early 9 speed freehubs are just about OK but your best bet is to respace 9 or 10 speed cassettes to 8 speed.

Am I right in thinking that you can only use 8 speed levers with and 8 speed mech? 9 speed levers with a 9 speed mech etc ?

Yes and no. 8 speed and pre-99 9 speed mechs is intercompatible.
Post-99 mechs are only post-99 compatible.

Are 8 speed ergos pretty hard to find? (I really like the ones which have both metal brake and gear levers)?

No. Unless you want last-generation Record Titaníum 8-speed which was only made for one season.

Does the distance between the rear drop outs have any effect on the maximum number of gears you can fit?

Yes but in your ball park the only figure you need to worry about is 130mm.

Benandemu":1c4j7ivk said:
I was unaware that you could upgrade an old 8 speed lever to 9 speed, by changing the internals. Did I read and understand that right?

You are correct. The insides are interchangeable on all ergos (not sure about the latest Mk3's) although Campag only specifically say in Mk2's.

I have 96 Record ergos which upgraded to (pre-2001 cable pull version) 9 speed.

The great thing about Campag is that it's much more like a meccano set than Shimano's sealed stuff.

Back