Old 7 speed cassette - what make?

BenR

Dirt Disciple
I have an old 7 speed 13-24 screw-on cassette, which has no maker's name except the words "Compact Super Made in France" stamped on the back, as well as MA. On the outside stamped on the fixed part is what looks like 1.575 x 24T 21 then 05 BSA 88. The space between the rings is 3mm making the ring spacing about 4.5mm centre to centre. To my certain knowledge this does not work with a Shimano shifter. It's pretty heavy and simple in design, no fancy ramps, with a super-smooth ratchet, probably bought around 1990.

Any idea who might have made it? I want to Ebay it.

given your clues ie
France
MA
Compact

I'd say it was maillard. But dont dismiss it yet, as maillard cmpact 7 free wheels were spaced at 5mm's and were compatible with shimano 7 speed. I believe they also did 8 speeed blocks, compatible with shimano 8 speed around 1990, but by then the age of the block was over and they couldnt compete with Mr Shimanos world domination. Your cassette might have been their half-hearted attempt at entering the world of cassettes.

Edit
Ive just re-read your post and you say screw on cassette. The 2 are different. Either its a screw on freewheel or a splined cassette. Im thinking the former and it should work with shimano 7.

Thanks both for the interesting replies. I have looked at pictures of Maillard freewheels and it looks exactly like one of those. It is of course a screw-on freewheel not a splined cassette. It was on a 1990 Harry Hall, which I have on Ebay right now; it was fitted with Shimano 105 shifters and I simply could not get the two to index together, so I replaced it with a Shimano screw-on, which worked fine. (Later I was able to get an 8 speed Tiagra hub into the frame.)

PS: I have just re-measured it and yes, it looks like 30mm wide for the 7 teeth, which gives a tooth every 5mm. However as I wrote above it didn't want to work with the 105 shifters, although possibly the shifters were faulty.

If its the one with the green plastic spacers, then it is the same spacing as shimano 7. if it has red spacers then its the same spacing as shimano 5 & 6 speed.

raced in the 80's when these were in use and saw the transition into shimano SIS & cassettes

No...5 and 6 have 5.5mm, whereas 7s is 5.0mm and 8s is 4.8mm for Shimano and 5.0 for Campag.

But then there is 6 and compact 6 freewheels if we really go back a bit!

Back