Peugeot - PY-10 FC (fibre de Carbone) repairable ???

pirate

Dirt Disciple
Hi All

Finally i found my dream bike.....

Well ok finally i found my dream bike's frame!

Well to be fair someone else found it (thank you longbeech) and donated it to me!

Question is how much time and money will i need to throw at it to get it rideable???

I have googled a bit for "carbon fibre frame repairers" but not having much luck, i'm sure there are plenty of people here who must have had old carbon frames to restore. Please help me :)

If anyone can give me some idea on the history via the frame number that would be cool too

Thank you all in advance

Pirate

P.S Once again a big thank you to Longbeech for passing it my way (even if it does end up back in a skip)

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

I would try a high-tech racing dinghy builder if you have no other leads. They do a lot of carbon work. But in my view from the photos you will need two if not three new tubes, as the carbon layup has failed.

You could try these guys:
http://www.fullforceboats.com/

At the end of all that will it really be a Peugeot still?

it's mainly the top tube with the damage (both ends) i was hoping to possibly get some fresh carbon wrapped around the ends of the tubes to strengthen them.

I read a fair bit on building carbon fiber frames from scratch on sheldon browns page, seems like fun!

I would like to try and keep ay much of the original frame as possible, as you say if i start having to replace full tubes there isn't much point

Pirate

I can't work out what that 3rd photo is. Is it the top of the seat tube? And does that mean the seat lug is completely detachable from the top/seat tubes?? :shock:

paul_tea":3frnit88 said:
I can't work out what that 3rd photo is. Is it the top of the seat tube? And does that mean the seat lug is completely detachable from the top/seat tubes?? :shock:

The 3rd photo is the top tube, removed from the seattube/toptube lug :? - i am wondering if i could make a new folding bike design

2 or 3 joints need re-bonding as you can see :LOL:

pirate":2s94xpdw said:
paul_tea":2s94xpdw said:

The 3rd photo is the top tube, removed from the seattube/toptube lug :? - i am wondering if i could make a new folding bike design

2 or 3 joints need re-bonding as you can see :LOL:

I could go on-and-on-and-on here, but the bottom line is: I would hang that up on the wall and use it as inspiration to keep plugging away at finding a mint one.

There is a lot more work needed than "re-bonding" and I wouldn't even entertain that bike as a project - unless you have a lot of love, a lot of time, and very deep pockets.

I can´t help you on the history of the bike, but I can tell you that that tube is a death. These tubes have a lot of unidirectional fibres that can´t be replaced without loosing a lot of structural strength. Of course you can repair it, but that will be very visible as you have build layers on the outside.
I would say your only chance is a new tube. Sorry.....

Thanks for all the replies

Well that settles it it's a no go, but i will be keeping the frame, and will continue to search for another

I have always loved the carbon/aluminium bonded frames, even before i knew what they were (i.e when i was 10 watching robert miller winning the KOM on one)

Does anyone still make bonded frames or is it all monocoque these days?? thats a google search for later.

The reason i like the bonded oppossed to the mono's it they have a little bit more character to them i think. A bit like a great 531 steel bike (how dare i compare steel with new fangled carbon!) with gorgeous lugwork and chromed forks/stays.

Anyway i will continue my search

Thanks again

Regard

Pirate

Good luck with sorting that out. Looks like it might be more suited to being a cool wall hanger to me but I salute your endeavour !

pirate":367ut3nd said:
Thanks for all the replies

Well that settles it it's a no go, but i will be keeping the frame, and will continue to search for another

I have always loved the carbon/aluminium bonded frames, even before i knew what they were (i.e when i was 10 watching robert miller winning the KOM on one)

Does anyone still make bonded frames or is it all monocoque these days?? thats a google search for later.

The reason i like the bonded oppossed to the mono's it they have a little bit more character to them i think. A bit like a great 531 steel bike (how dare i compare steel with new fangled carbon!) with gorgeous lugwork and chromed forks/stays.

Anyway i will continue my search

Thanks again

Regard

Pirate

There's no way that frame is a goer - there's so much more to consider than the ends of the tubes that have visibly failed - and even if you did decide to go ahead with repairs to the tubes you'd be doing so on the assumption that the ali lugs and stays are in perfect health.

How hard have you been searching for a new frame?

The other day someone on eBay tried to sell me a carbon and aluminium bonded Vitus that was stickered up as an Orange - I think the whole thing only fetched a couple of hundred quid, and it was in usable condition.

Back