Raleigh Phantom

I dug this out of my folks garage at christmas. It had been gathering dust for years since been abandoned there by me fifteen years ago. It used to be my winter training and paper round bike.
Last week I stripped it down and serviced the few moving parts on it as it is a fixed wheel. I had a pair of spare middleburns around and a NOS GIOS Flite saddle so they found there way here.
Today I rode it again for the first time in fifteen years. A perfect still calm day and a few miles of the sea front path.. I came to the conclusion that the media try and convince us that we need to have the 'en vouge' kit to be at one with our cycling soul and I'm riding a lugged, plain gauge steel frame with no gears or freewheel and am loving just been out on a bike on a nice day.
I still need to sort out new grips for it.

DSCN1180.JPG

DSCN1186.JPG

DSCN1184.JPG

Great story, Wish i still had my paper route bike! Breathing new life into the old girl, it looks great. Chain tension looks a little on the slack side so to save yourself from injury buy a new chain as the old one looks like it has seen better days. Sweet...

Yes.. Chain needs to be replaced. The chainring is a couple of teeth smaller than the OE item so there was not enough adjustment in drop out to take up slack.

Back