Gran-Compe. Nice or Tat?

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
I have a set of what looks like NOS Gran-Compe non-aero brake levers. Well, I say a set as I have found only one. The other lies somewhere in my loft. Is it worth tracking it down or should I wait for a Campagnolo set to come along?

Are they anything to do with Dia Compe?

IIRC sort of top end DiaCompe. They made some nice lightweight components. Rarer than Campag, which depending on your point of view could be a point in their favour.

Gran Compe was a Dia Compe model range with Weinmann-esq side caliper stirrups (ref GC-500N) and levers with rubber hoods and drilled levers (ref GC-160).

They'll be fine for an 80's period restoration, especially if you have the rubber hoods as, generally speaking, period hoods are now like the proverbial rocking-horse dung!

However, if you have Campagnolo stirrups, then matching levers are a must!

Old Ned":33j3hlx9 said:
Gran Compe was a Dia Compe model range with Weinmann-esq side caliper stirrups (ref GC-500N) and levers with rubber hoods and drilled levers (ref GC-160).

They'll be fine for an 80's period restoration, especially if you have the rubber hoods as, generally speaking, period hoods are now like the proverbial rocking-horse dung!

However, if you have Campagnolo stirrups, then matching levers are a must!

Looks like I'm in for an epic up the loft then. I have a selection of old brake parts and I'm sure the ones on the bike originally were black DiaCompe. The levers and hoods appear to be new.

Back