Dawes Imperial - any info?

PaulBecks

Dirt Disciple
Hi, I've just got hold of a Dawes Imperial which i'm unsure of the age of?

It's 531c tubing with suntour Cyclone M II mechs (7 speed) Super Custom 52/42 chainset and Mallard hubs on rigida rims.

There's no head tube badge with Dawes Imperial on the top tube and Dawes 'Hand Made' on the down tube.

Any clues anyone as Dawes can't help saying they lost a lot of historical data in a fire?

Cheers Paul

Very nice! Looks possibly a bit too big for you? Going on how the seat/ stem is set up anyway.

At a guess, about 1985/6 ish.

Theres a few people who'd be interested in that big frame... ;)

Yeah it's a cool looking bike and in top condition. As you've already noticed it is too big for me so i'm going to have to let it go.

Sensible offers considered ;)

Hi I still have my Dawesi imperial, I bought it new in1982 for about £360.. If I remember right, still rides very well after many many miles , the build quality is fantastic......bought it at a shop called Peter rippon in Darlington ........( great bike ) I still love it

Re:

Hi people. Sorry to drag up an ancient thread, but I'm trying to restore one which I think is about 1984 to factory condition. The catalogue is a bit vague on the spec of the wheels and I'm hoping this is where all the Imperial aficionados congregate...

First off just an observation:
Though I reckon there was only ever one colour scheme offered for the Imperial (i.e. Burnt Cherry/Chrome forks), there is a difference in the top tube decals. Some had the typeface "Dawes Imperial" version shown in the pictures posted in this thread, others (e.g. the one in the 1984 catalogue) had just "Imperial" in a script. Presumably this was to save weight...

Anyway, questions:
May I ask for the spec of the wheels on your bike, Gibson?

Also, can anyone confirm that the pedals are Maillard CXCs? (I have a pair on the way to me from France so I'm hoping I got the right thing.)

And of course if you're trying to get rid of one of those terrible Kashimax Aero saddles, I'm all ears!! :D

Z

Back