Campag 9s and 10s systems on 1990s road bike

rick617

Retro Newbie
I have just returned to cycling after a 20 year break, to say I am a little confused with regards current component technology would be an understatement! I have bought a old gazelle road bike from the 1990s, I have also bought some components namely campag Centura front and rear hubs 9/10s 2006 versions, a campag record double chainset 10s 2006 version. I also purchased a Centura 10s cassette 2009 version 13 to 26t. When I put the cassette on the hub the locking ring was practically flush with the hub nut which I feel cannot be corrected. Would a 9s cassette be narrower? If I were to run a nine speed system could I still use my 10s chainset? Also I was thinking of using a indexed gear system presumably I would need 9s leavers if I was going with a 9s system. Failing that could I just use friction down tube leavers? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Rick, welcome to the wonderful world of modern cycling! Just wait until you have to deal with Aheadsets, STI's and external bearing bottom brackets.

Staying Retro is a lot simpler - which is why there are a lot of us on here!

Saying all that, I do have a couple of modern bikes but thankfully I've not had to do any mechanicking on them yet. I think there will be a steep learning curve when I do.

Can't help you with the Campag 9/10 speed question, sorry. I'm a Shimano man myself - but still not sure what will work with what. Anything after 7/8 speed is a mystery!

I'm sure you'll get a helpful answer very soon.

Hey Rick

9s and 10s Campy cassettes are similar in width. the 10s should work fine on your bike, altho you might need a 1.5/2mm washer between the axle and the r/h dropout to ensure the chain doesn't contact the seatstay or dropout on the smallest cog.

If you go to 9s you need 9s shifters. depending on the age of yours they may be able to be fitted with a 9s ratchet. Any combo will work fine with friction shifters..........

Andy

Any 10s campag cassette will run on any 9 or 10 speed campag hub.

Lockrings are in issue - but you should get the right lockring with the hub.

There is very little clearance from outside edge of lockring to inside edge of right dropout. But there's enough so don't worry about it.

Back