Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:41 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:51 pm 
Dirt Disciple

The frame of my Colnago is now (almost) identified = Mexico 1985(?)
- and the gruppo as well (thanks for all the scanned catalogs I found on the net). The gruppo is a mix of following Campagnolo parts from different gruppos from different years:
Shifters = Victory 1986
Brake calipers & levers = Triumphe 1986
Front Derailleur = Super Record 1985
Front Derailleur = Record 1987/1988
Head Set = Colnago 199?

I would like to get rid of the non-campy components of my bike - Shimano Crankset & bottom bracket(?). I quess they should be replaced with crankset and BB of the existing gruppos of my bike. But which one of them? Or should I choose something else - Nuovo Record from 1980s etc. ? Or much newer Campy?

If I had a "chosen gruppo" I would know what to search for when it´s time to replace some other components. I prefer a gruppo with parts not too expensive - and not too hard to be found on eBay...

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Last edited by olzu on Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:25 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

olzu wrote:
The frame of my Colnago is now (almost) identified = Mexico 1985(?)
- and the gruppo as well (thanks for all the scanned catalogs I found on the net). The gruppo is a mix of following Campagnolo parts from different gruppos from different years:
Shifters = Victory 1986
Brake calipers & levers = Triumphe 1986
Front Derailleur = Super Record 1985
Front Derailleur = Record 1987/1988
Head Set = Colnago 199?

I would like to get rid of the non-campy components of my bike - Shimano Crankset & bottom bracket(?). I quess they should be replaced with crankset and BB of the existing gruppos of my bike. But which one of them?

OK... If frame is ´85 you have a few options.

If I were you I would be considering that
1) a Mexico is a top-end frame.
2) Triomphe was a bottom-end group

BUT....

You might want to do something completely different with this project - the standard build for this would be non-fluted record cranks, Record all the way through - but Victory/Triomphe were a lot closer to the high-end than the low end groupsets are today.

Biggest problem will be sourcing a decent bottom bracket. If I were you I would leave "as is" for now. I have a Victory chainset you could have for next to nothing as it's superfluous to requirement. But the BB will set you back an arm and a leg.

Pedals - try and find some original Look or Time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:02 am 
Dirt Disciple

Thanks for your answer, dbmtb. It´s good to know those top-end and bottom-end things concerning different Camapgnolo groupsets.

Well, I´m not 100% sure about the year of the frame - I think it´s 1985 but I quess it´s possible that is from 1986-87...

So, is this what you suggest (= "if you were me")?:
1. I should keep the whole bike as it is now.
2. If I want to replace the bottom bracket/crankset I should choose Record/Super Record, because that´s what my Mexico frame deserves.
If I can find a BB and Record/Super Record crankset from (mid) 1980s on eBay does it makes any sense to buy them? I was told that used Super Record cranks may get broken quite easily -do you agree? Should I buy them (and BB) as NOS (=not cheap, I know)...