Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:58 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:27 pm 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

After having it kept it in storage for a couple of years, I am currently preparing this 81 ProRacer for regular use :)

The bicycle has the quirky 'DynaDrive' cranks & pedals. The design placed the foot approx 1.5cm below the virtual axle, positioning the rider lower on the bike, resulting in less drag and a lower point of gravity. Morever the pedals shape enabled longer pedalling trough the corners, resulting in faster cornering, what especially should give an advantage in criteriums (from an older Dutch rider I understood the DD riders actually were faster trough the corners). Whatever, we know the theory.

Practical implication is that the cranks design limits your choice to using 'DynaDrive' pedals only. Still some, like me, prefer using conventional pedals, with a cage, or 'clickies'. So than you have a problem :roll:

My LBS had something made that makes it longer necassary 'to bin' your expensive DD crank if you want to use something different :)

adapter pieces.

8)

Nicely constructed with material machined away where the pedals fit, so to prevent you will end up with a skyrocketed Q-factor.

Fitted:

Image Image

No pics if finished result with pedals - yet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:15 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

Beautiful bike and pictures as ever Melvin. Ingenious pedal adapter too :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:30 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Anyone heard of Haworth Swing pedals. Apparently they're like these Dyna drive ones, but fit into an ordinary crank. Nothin comes up on Google.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:13 am 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

Interesting. Never heard of it.

I have another oddity here >>

They are EX DD alike looking cranks, with the aerodynamic shape without flutes and so on ....BUT they take conventional threaded pedals. I never saw another pair. Anyone know more on them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:16 am 
Retro Guru

I can't imagine there being a huge market for those adapter bits, did your LBS just have them laying around?
They are quite nifty, if a bit ugly.. Can you install them from the inside out, so the hexagonal plate is on the inside of the cranks where it would be less conspicuous?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:42 am 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

PIGEON wrote:
I can't imagine there being a huge market for those adapter bits, did your LBS just have them laying around?
They are quite nifty, if a bit ugly.. Can you install them from the inside out, so the hexagonal plate is on the inside of the cranks where it would be less conspicuous?

My LBS had them made. Shimano is even directing people looking for a solution to my LBS. I think there are made in a time when people were simply looking for a practical solution for their compatibilityproblem, hence they are no aesthetic delight probably. If you want the authentic looks, like many vintage conaisseur want nowadays, you have to go with the original DD pedals or alternatively swap the DD cranks for regular DA ones of the same era. The LBS still have them laying around. No cheapies though. I bought myself only two pair. I sometimes got hands on full DA specced bikes for less :roll: That is the reality with vintage bikes I think.

I thought of mounting them from inside out, but I do not recall whether I actually tried whether they would thread in. Anyway, I am sure I would have to tighten them very much, to avoid unthreading when pedalling.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:57 pm 

Hi lokking for crank adaptors. Can you help me, yours look great.

Best regards Jacob

Post subject: LBS contact
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:50 pm 

Could you post the contact information for the LBS that made those adapters?
I need a pair and I am sure dozens of others do too.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:26 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

In the eighties i rode on average 6,000 miles a year and within three years i'd got through four sets of pedals
because the bearings had gone down in them, so i threw away my cranks ! I wished these adaptors had been available back in the day :roll:

Post subject: Re: LBS contact
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:01 pm 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

PJSTOCK wrote:
Could you post the contact information for the LBS that made those adapters?
I need a pair and I am sure dozens of others do too.

Peter

I am sure my lbs won't deal with emails in English, German or whatever language if it isn't Dutch. Actually I think they even wouldn't be interested posting them.

Since I posted them here and elsewhere I got 3 inquiries, the last one coincidently yesterday. I supplied two, but I think I won't be able to supply more. I think they are out of stock now, but I will verify. Drop me a PM if you want an update.