Retro 80's Atala Restoration - Australia

qvw

Dirt Disciple
Hi Guy's and Gals,

Can anyone out there advise me of any company or person who makes decals for my Italian "Atala" retro road bike? I intend to strip it down and get it blasted, re-chromed, re-painted and generally cleaned up. The current bike has been hanging in my mate's shed for over 14yrs with zero use but the Conti's still hold air pressure so I was lucky enough to take it for a spin...

Also, does anyone know what the estimated value would be? It has the following:

Campag derailleur (no idea what sort)
Shimano 600 hubs and levers
Gipiemme shifters (I believe Gipiemme are shifters made for Campag in the 80's but I'm not sure??)
Azzurro cranks and chain rings (52 39) and skewers
3ttt seat post 27.2 (I think 3ttt are a Campy off shoot but not sure)
38f267 is the stamp under bb with 55 next to it (maybe size??)
ITM stem
Kusuki Japan bars -
Ukai wheels - Conti 20mm tyres (I cant find anything on the net on Ukai wheels)?

I'm putting a very poor quality pic on this for you to look at - but I intend to take more with my actual camera. I seriously cant wait to get it rolling (properly) so I can use it as a weekend cruiser.

Cheers

Attachments

• Atala_1.jpg
    Atala_1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 3,666
  • Atala_2.jpg
    Atala_2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 3,664
qvw":1s2joqff said:
Can anyone out there advise me of any company or person who makes decals for my Italian "Atala" retro road bike?
Willkommen, Bienvenue, Welcome.

This chap in Coffs Harbour deals in repro decals:

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/gts753

He's not listing any Atala decals just now, but you could contact him through eBay and ask.

Gipiemme shifters (I believe Gipiemme are shifters
made for Campag in the 80's but I'm not sure??)
Gipiemme was a big second-tier Italian manufacturer. In common with the likes of Galli, Miche and Ofmega, many of their products were close copies of Campag designs, and they may have done subcontracting work for Campag at times of high demand.

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/ ... e_main.htm

Their factory's in the Veneto, not all that far from Campag in Vicenza.

3ttt seat post 27.2 (I think 3ttt are a Campy off shoot but not sure)
3ttt is Tecnologia del Tubo Torinese or Tecno Tubo Torino. I don't know of any connection to Campag.

(I cant find anything on the net on Ukai wheels)?
Ukai is (or was - I don't know if they're still around) a big Japanese rim manufacturer that did a lot of OEM business. I'd guess the wheels probably aren't original to the bike.

Is there a tubing decal on the frame? It would help give a better sense of the likely quality (and value) of the bike.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Is there a tubing decal on the frame? It would help give a better sense of the likely quality (and value) of the bike.

Thanks for the info - I will contact the Coffs Hbr gentleman as soon as I can to see if he can obtain the decals.

In regards to the tubing. There are Columbus stickers on the forks and in the down tube which say "Accacio Speciale" (sorry about the spelling - I hope I got that correct? Also - there are no other letters against it so no SL or anything). There is also a sticker that says "Champione Del Mondo" with three date ranges: 1982-1983, 1984-1985, 1986-1987 on there. This obviously makes me think the bike is a late 80's rather than an early 80's like I 1st thought.

I pulled the brakes off and gave everything a good clean but in doing so I found quite a few worn parts so it looks like I might have to search e-bay for some items over the next few months!! I'm now considering buying the equivalent in Campag products to keep with the Italian theme.

Can anyone tell me where to find old frame pictures of my Atala to ensure I keep with the original painting and patterns? Is there such a thing as a guidebook out there on these bike frames.

I've googled but cant seem to find anything. Sorry - bit of a novice at this retro restore work!!

legrandefromage":kqgx5eov said:

Thanks - I went to that site previously but there isnt much on Atala's in there at all. I am now thinking of e-mailing Atala themselves in Italy to find out if anyopne there knows the model and approx value of my machine. It will make a big difference as to if I strip it and re-build it or sell it... Hmmm... I like it too much to sell so I'm hoping for the re-build option...

I've got an Atala which is ~1983 I think.. and I'm in Australia also.

If the seat post is 27.2 it might be built with Columbus tubing, if so it's probably worth a bit of money... have a look on ebay, there's one for sale in Europe for 1,000 USD :roll:

Does it have a chrome fork?

Hadrian":sxfpt9nv said:
I've got an Atala which is ~1983 I think.. and I'm in Australia also.

If the seat post is 27.2 it might be built with Columbus tubing, if so it's probably worth a bit of money... have a look on ebay, there's one for sale in Europe for 1,000 USD :roll:

Does it have a chrome fork?

Yes - mine has a chrome fork and Columbus tubing stickers as well as a tripple world champ crown decal. It reads 82-83, 83-84, 85-86 so I'm assuming mine is approx an 87 model. I have seen the one on e-bay so I'm stoked it's worth that much. I paid $14 for mine!

Been riding it for a week now and LOVE it. Almost as much fun as my full carbon BMC Pro Machine....

I've got some photos of the Atala team in the Tour de France from around the same year as your bike, I'll scan them tomorow.

atala2.jpg

Back