Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:06 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:35 am 
Retro Guru

Easy question, what was your first drop barred roadbike?

Mine would have been about 1980, a Vindec. I remember the shop had two Vindec's a ten speed and a five speed. I went for the five speed because it was £10 cheaper. They also had a Raleigh that seemed cheap and nasty at the same sort of price. On reflection it was very old fashioned even for 1980, but I loved that bike gave me freedom that my previous chopper clone didn't.

I sold it to my older sister's boyfriend about the time that I got my driving licence. I should have seen some significance in the fact that although he had a motorbike and a driving licence he still wanted a push bike, but it passed me by.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:00 am 
Moderator /Lincs, E & S Yorks Deputy AEC

a mid '80's British Eagle, Reynolds 456 frame, with 105 brakes & gears, can't remember much more of the spec, it was swapped about 6 months after I got it for a Falcon MTB from the factory in Brigg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:06 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

Raleigh record sprint - black ovalised 531 tubing, shimano 600 arabesque mech, close ratio sachs gold cassette and a 53t tioga front ring

went like shite off a shovel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:36 pm 

legrandefromage wrote:
Raleigh record sprint - black ovalised 531 tubing, shimano 600 arabesque mech, close ratio sachs gold cassette and a 53t tioga front ring

went like shite off a shovel
I've got 600 Arabesque mech's & shifters on my Falcon road bike, they're beautiful compared to most modern stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:13 pm 
Retro Guru

I had an MBK, can't remember what kind though, but it was a ten or twelve speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:20 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

First bike with drops was a really quite gash Royal Enfield 5 speed which I owned briefly between having a BMX and my first MTB.

First 'proper' road bike was a carbon specialized allez with mostly old 105.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:48 pm 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

1980 ex pro Koga FullPro-L.

Only 2 or 3 yrs ago. Since then my collecting develloped towards Classic Dutch road bikes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:23 pm 
Old School Grand Master

A hand-me-down Dawes Lightning in "burnt cherry". The next one was the ubiquitous black and gold Raleigh Record Sprint with oval 501 tubes and Space Shuttle graphics.

edit:

http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/R ... l84_06.jpg

Mine had the 105 gold arrow rear mech pictured, Helicomatic hubs and black Weinman concave rims.

Last edited by one-eyed_jim on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:17 am 
Retro Guru

Ah the Record Sprint (goes all misty eyed and hooks thumbs into braces, sparks clogs on cobbled street) time was that was a top end bike with a 531 tubeset. Then they started coming in butted 501 (nice), then plain gauge 501 (pleasant) and so on, down to what appeard to be second hand steam pipe.

Why did Raleigh did this to so many of their great names? And why do so many people buy a set of 531 transfers and try to sell the cheapest Raleigh they can find on ebay as a top end bike? And why do so many suckers believe them and pay top dollar?

Last year a friend of mine bought a "531" Team Banana on the bay. He brought it around to show me, knowing I was into old bikes. As soon as I saw it I knew it wasn't top end, the seller hadn't even tried, most of the kit was OE. When I picked it up it must have weighed almost twice as much as the genuine article. I've nothing against old heavyweight bikes, but you should get them for a fiver or as salvage. Over a hundred quid is taking the piss a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:42 am 

Bought my first road bike in 1959, a Girardengo. Italian steel. I was 13 years old and delivered newspapers for $20 a month. The LBS sold it to me on payments and my mum cosigned for me. The bike cost $120 and every payday (once a month) I made a $10 payment. I rode every place on that bike. The few things I remember about the bike was that it had a white frame and barcon shifters, hi flange hubs with q/r's and a leather seat. I wish I still had it, I've looked for one for years but no luck. Then I got interested in girls, and you know how that is.