(Colnago Master: Help, please!) Problem solved!?

olzu

Dirt Disciple
I recently bought this Colnago Master - so my long-term dream of an italian road bike came true. :D Seller of the bike told me that it´s from mid 1990´s. I would like to know the exact year. I´ve tried to find shots of similar bike on the net but I haven´t found any. Further information of Colnago Masters in general is also welcome. Thanks a lot in advance!

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,989
  • 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,988
Welcome to the forums, I cannot tell you the exact year but i would guess that that it is much older than you were told. Give away signs are mainly the group components like the downtube shifters, brake calipers but of course these all could have been changed.
The frame on the otherhand has a classic decals, quill stem, top tube cable guides and only 1 bottle mount so suggesting a bike from an earlier period. It's very nice, I would guess and it is a guess early to mid eightys possibly even earlier. There are some good guys on here who really know there road stuff so you may get a definitive answer instead of my guess work :)

looks like last generation Super Record (giveaway signs are the non-fluted cranks).

This would make it around '85.

I think it s from 90´s. It has not chromed lugs and master -decal is strange place?
Also columbus-decal is strange...does it say gilco design?

Down tube is round? It should be also profiled.

Could it be re-painted?

Here is good example -92 Master.
http://raydobbins.com/master/index

But nice bike!

Ja tervetuloa foorumille!

dbmtb":2dpp8xpe said:
Can't date the frame but no way is that kit 90s Shamus.

Group can be older than frame... it not so rare to buy new frame and use old group... but hard to say exact year for that frame.

Mine is 87-88 and it has gilco design down tube...
MasterValmis.jpg

vivut.jpg

Shamus said:
I think it s from 90´s.
The seller said that he had bought it "about over ten years ago" as new. And I have no reason not to believe him. So, I think you are right - it must be from 1990´s.

It has not chromed lugs and master -decal is strange place?
I quess the lugs can tell the year...

Also columbus-decal is strange...does it say gilco design?
No, it doesn´t. It says "TUBI RINFORZATO GARANTITI" and"ACCIAIO SPECIALE"

Down tube is round? It should be also profiled.
It´s profiled - similar to upper tube.

Could it be re-painted?
I´m pretty sure that the paint is original.

Here is good example -92 Master.
http://raydobbins.com/master/index
Yes, it´s quite similar to my Colnago. But not exactly.

But nice bike!
Thanks. Your Colnago is such a beauty!

Ja tervetuloa foorumille!
Kiitos vaan. Mukava huomata että meitä finskejä löytyy täältäkin. Kuinkahan paljon muuten meitä hieman vanhempien italialaisten maantiepyörien omistajia Suomessa lienee? Mitään yhdistystä ei taida olla olemassa? Vielä...

Lovely looking frame, not disagreeing with any of the above but I'd be with the guys who are saying early to mid 80s before the distinctive gilco (clover leaf profile) tubes and straight Prescia forks were introduced - perhaps a frame produced in 82/83, bought a couple of years later and the up to date at the time late generation Super Record components added?

Regardless of any of this, ride and enjoy!

ededwards":2kwv8tre said:
Lovely looking frame, not disagreeing with any of the above but I'd be with the guys who are saying early to mid 80s before the distinctive gilco (clover leaf profile) tubes and straight Prescia forks were introduced - perhaps a frame produced in 82/83, bought a couple of years later and the up to date at the time late generation Super Record components added?

Regardless of any of this, ride and enjoy!

Thanks for your answer. I hope that you and other "80s guys" are right - the older frame the better. Your theory of older frame and some newer components added later is interesting - and very possible.
What does the "clover leaf profile" look like? The tubes of my bike are profiled - not round.

I´ll ride and enjoy - as soon as snow has gone. And that will take about 3 long months...

olzu":2s2k03rz said:
What does the "clover leaf profile" look like? The tubes of my bike are profiled - not round.

Like on Shamus bike above.

Oh, and definitely don't take my word as definitive, far from it, just thoughts really (I have a very detailed article on Colnago somewhere, will try to dig it out and see if it sheds any more light).

Back