Road Tyres?

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
Hi guys, Just wondering what tyres you use on your skinny tyred steeds? Out (again!) today and suffered the quadruple puncture woes. I think my tyres are wearing out, they must have done some miles! Although almost worn away, I think the lable says "Michelin Axial Pro".
I don't suppose they were very high range but I must say I have been quite impressed. My needs are:
* Easy to get on and off.
* 700C x 23 width.
* Not too expensive.

Should probably mention that the rims are Mavic Open Pro SUPs.

So what do you use?
PS I've had a quick look on CRC and they don't seem to be a current tyre!

Thanks in advance.

For winter, filthy roads etc I use Conti UltraGatorskins or GP 4Season if I'm feeling flush. They are pretty fast, almost as good as a race tyre. GP 4Season seem indistinguishable from racing rubber, but probably have a slightly harder compound.

Nice racing tyres seem to last about 700-1000 miles for me before getting terminally damaged.

I'd second Gatorskins, not the most supple but pretty durable and puncture proof (although do a search on other forums, some people HATE them).

If you want real puncture proofness and can live with less suppleness then Specialized Armadillos are pretty good

GP 4 Seasons are brill, all year round usage, using these in 25mm guise.

Vittoria open corsa's are absolutley lovely but not the most durable, ditto Veloflex records.

Michelin pro races are nice too in a OK does it all way. Think its pro race 2's I have.

Vittoria Open Corsa CX. The NON-EVO version. I think I have about 24 in different colors stacked in my cellar .. :D
The rear tire usually lasts about 3000km

I've been using the all-black version of the Axial on my winter bike (it has a simple tread pattern of sort of U-shapes along the top of the tread) and these seem to be quite durable. Trouble is that I'm not sure if they still make these. I have Axial Pro on my 'better' bike (in red, white, blue Tour de France colours) and these seem quite lively. In fact I'll probably race on them early season. For later I've got some even lighter Axials so it would appear that I'm all Michelin but this is by chance rather than deliberate as they've mostly been acquired at jumbles at 'value for money' prices!

I'll possibly fit some latex tubes to the lighter ones for racing, they do make a difference in performance although don't retain air as well as butyl.

Make sure you use plenty of talcum powder (or similar, I'm actually using some out-of-date Athletes Foot powder!) on the tube and inside the tyre to prevent them sticking and allow movement. Helps to avoid some types of punctures.

I use 23mm Conti 4 seasons. If you don't mind the extra weight I use two old inner tubes, remove the valves and split round the middle, all the way along the inside, wrap one over the front tube, one over the rear tube and fit your tyres as you normaly would. It gives an added layer of protection. One of the old boys in my old bike club told me about it. I've never had a puncture on the commute to work and back. Now having typed this I know I'll get to work late on monday morning...

Vredestein Tricomps.

If they'll cope with flinty danish grit, then they'll cope with anything.

Back