Caminargent

Great links, thanks Jim. Lovely frames, all held together by nuts and bolts well before the days of epoxy and 'space age' glues.

I wonder if they creak after a long ride on the pave?

As an aside, I read in an old 'Sporting Cyclist' about Jacques Anquetil having an aluminium frame when he first won the GP de Nations in the early 50's with oval tubes and extended seat tube etc. Do you know anything about it? It was in Andre Boucher's shop I think.

Very beautiful and inspirational. Make me want to try and build one. Do you own one? Whats the history on these beautys?

Old Ned":3hck82ds said:
As an aside, I read in an old 'Sporting Cyclist' about Jacques Anquetil having an aluminium frame when he first won the GP de Nations in the early 50's with oval tubes and extended seat tube etc. Do you know anything about it? It was in Andre Boucher's shop I think.
I don't know, but I'll look into it. Certainly, there were a number of French manufacturers working with aluminium in the postwar years. Aviac and Gnome Rhone are two that spring to mind.

pistol13":20ump1ov said:
Do you own one?
Chance would be a fine thing!

I've actually seen one or two locked up around town, still in use as everyday rides - one in the Marais, and one up by the Gare de l'Est.

Whats the history on these beautys?
I don't know that much about them, beyond what's to be found on the web. They were built at Bois-Colombes near Paris in the thirties, and reputedly cost three times the price of a Hetchins when a Hetchins was the most expensive bike you could buy in Britain. The marque seems to have survived into the early fifties, then disappeared.

Back