Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:17 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 154  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:19 pm 
Retro Guru

Mr.E wrote:
I have this Piero Zurino which i believe is a Losa frame but can´t be 100% sure because the lettering on the seatstay caps is a little different from all the losa frames i have seen. It has chromed seat/chain stays, bb shell and seat lug, also fork. Campagnolo dropouts and when i bought it had columbus sl decals that fell apart the first time i washed it. It is also a very light frame (around 1.6kg, fork around 0.68g).
I know Giovanni Losa made frames for different brands, and Piero zurino is/was a swiss bike shop with made to order bikes, it may or not be a losa frame but it is, i believe, a quality frame. I haven ridden it for some time and it is really fast , light and nervous...

I'm in no way qualified to comment on a rarity such as this, but it is so lovely that I had to stick my oar in.

If I saw that up for sale, I wouldn't be surprised to see a price tag of £500 on it. A lot depends on just how rare it is: I haven't followed up your links or done any digging myself, but I can smell the quality from here.

Despite what you may have read elsewhere, there is a huge wealth of knowledge on LFGSS.com and they love a classic Italian; you'll find "how much" and "what's this" threads there and I think this would generate a lot of interest.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:34 pm 
Dirt Disciple

ScillySuffolk wrote:
Mr.E wrote:
I have this Piero Zurino which i believe is a Losa frame but can´t be 100% sure because the lettering on the seatstay caps is a little different from all the losa frames i have seen. It has chromed seat/chain stays, bb shell and seat lug, also fork. Campagnolo dropouts and when i bought it had columbus sl decals that fell apart the first time i washed it. It is also a very light frame (around 1.6kg, fork around 0.68g).
I know Giovanni Losa made frames for different brands, and Piero zurino is/was a swiss bike shop with made to order bikes, it may or not be a losa frame but it is, i believe, a quality frame. I haven ridden it for some time and it is really fast , light and nervous...

I'm in no way qualified to comment on a rarity such as this, but it is so lovely that I had to stick my oar in.

If I saw that up for sale, I wouldn't be surprised to see a price tag of £500 on it. A lot depends on just how rare it is: I haven't followed up your links or done any digging myself, but I can smell the quality from here.

Despite what you may have read elsewhere, there is a huge wealth of knowledge on LFGSS.com and they love a classic Italian; you'll find "how much" and "what's this" threads there and I think this would generate a lot of interest.

Thanks for the reply, it is already on ebay because i need to fund a brasing kit (other projects). I am very sad to sell it but it´s been sitting for a year, i just don´t ride it. I hope it goes to a good home and gets used...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:39 am 
Devout Dirtbag

ScillySuffolk wrote:
"designed by" reeks of slapping a pedigree name on a mongrel product

I see where you're coming from, but I believe that Falcon were still making their own frames in Coventry at this point, and Ernie Clements was the company manager. I don't imagine it has any great value on this account but I think it's probably a decent quality frame from before Falcon started putting their badge on generic far eastern imports.

I suspect the most valuable component is the one I removed before letting the bike go (my housemate took the bike to his girlfriend this evening, I just have to decide how much I want for it) - the Brooks leather saddle in perfect condition - that's going on Ebay!

Also, the "Woodrup Cycles Leeds" bell off the front of it is now on my GT Tequesta mountain bike. Most incongruous but I like it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:17 am 
Retro Guru

dyl wrote:
I see where you're coming from, but I believe that Falcon were still making their own frames in Coventry at this point, and Ernie Clements was the company manager. I don't imagine it has any great value on this account but I think it's probably a decent quality frame from before Falcon started putting their badge on generic far eastern imports...

It's difficult to date the bike from the photos you've posted, but a little more research on the head badge may help pin it down.

However, I'd guess it's early/mid-Eighties and Falcon had been on the slide since the early-Seventies: their Merckx licensed bikes are not sought after.

Either way, "women" specific frames are rarely worth a fraction of their "standard" counterparts. Having said all that, it looks to be a perfectly serviceable bike that still has plenty to offer: I'd give it to a friend and accept whatever was offered from a stranger.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:24 am 
Retro Guru

Practically nothing: you'd do well to recover the cost of the new parts you've fitted, even if you did find a buyer.

You rebuilt it with your Dad? So it has sentimental value to you both, so ride it and enjoy it for what it is.

I'm happy to be corrected, but I don't recall Puch making anything but run-of-the-mill bikes and judging by the components, this came from the bottom of a modest heap.

Love it for what it is: a perfectly decent, but nondescript runabout.

PS It's not a 23" frame, looks more like 20"/21".[/quote]

Very much appreciate your advise, we did it as an experiment, same as most of the bikes we each have. It needs to go to make room. Neither of us have a use for it, old bikes are just so nice we can't refuse buying them :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:42 pm 
Retro Guru

I was in a similar position: last year's Winter bike (a 1989 Peugeot I paid £60 for) wasn't worth selling on, so I converted it to a SS town bike and gave it to a non-cycling friend to get to work on.

I'm happy that it's still in use; he's discovered the fun of biking: everyone's a winner!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:42 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

Hi Guys,

I am looking for an appraisal (£) on my steel beautifully fillet-brazed USA made (not classic) Curtlo road frame and Easton EC90 Superlite fork, will include the Ritchey seatpost and Cane Creek S-3 headset. The frame, fork and parts are about 4/5 years old with no dents or dings, some minor scratches and cable rub from typical use. Bike is shown dirty!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:28 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I'm afraid I have no idea what it's worth, but I like it.. a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:24 pm 
Retro Guru

hi all,any ideas on this 19? bianchi caurus 908 ,just quick spec full rx100 kit columbus tubing

but a stuck seatpost :cry:

any help :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:07 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Circa 1988 F.W. Evans touring frame. I bought this based on some crappy pictures hoping it would be the ATB version, but it isn't, and its too big for me anyway. It was advertised as 19", but it 21.5" c-c!
The paintwork is quite poor, but its only light surface rust.
Is it worth anything?

Attachment:
P1010039.JPG
P1010039.JPG [ 172.17 KiB | Viewed 301 times ]

Attachment:
P1010036.JPG
P1010036.JPG [ 160.5 KiB | Viewed 301 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 154  Next