Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:07 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 154  Next
 Post subject: Vitus 979 - How Much?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:09 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Hi, I'm putting my Vitus 979 up for sale but first I'd like a valuation from the forum.

DSC01714 by Rookilo, on Flickr

The thread for when I built it is here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=184644
It now has different wheels, very good condition Mavic MA40's on 105 hubs with new Schwalbe tyres but I've not got any pics with those fitted yet. Thanks! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:25 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Re Vitus 979 - If there ever was a candidate for splitting. Seriously, your bike is such a mixed bag it really would be a challenge to price. There isn't such a thing as a classic 979 build and a version in this condition is a great blank canvas for someone. If it were me I'd sell the frame & the 25mm seatpost as one then split the rest. But as it stands I'd hazard a guess at around £200

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:14 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

agentorange wrote:
Re Vitus 979 - If there ever was a candidate for splitting. Seriously, your bike is such a mixed bag it really would be a challenge to price.

I didn't realise it was a mixed bag, it's 105 throughout apart from seatpost and headset!
I did think of splitting, how much would the frame / forks be worth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:22 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

RooKilo wrote:
agentorange wrote:
Re Vitus 979 - If there ever was a candidate for splitting. Seriously, your bike is such a mixed bag it really would be a challenge to price.

I didn't realise it was a mixed bag, it's 105 throughout apart from seatpost and headset!
I did think of splitting, how much would the frame / forks be worth?

Oh, OK, I was reading from the spec list on your original thread. The problem I have is that I live in France and you can buy 979 & 992 frames over here for less than £100 but a good honest eBay ad with good pics could probably net you double that for a clean frame, which yours looks. All the parts on your bike certainly look clean so will probably do well in their own right, off the top of my head maybe £130 for a nice clean 105 groupset if they are all from the same era. The wheels look good esp the rims so you might get SS interest in the large flanges (LFGSS maybe) so maybe £90+ there. So, you may even double the £200 if you split and will have bits to spare for next project (seat, stem, bars).

I'm splitting my two 992's (bellow links) this year as I just won't get the money I put into them by selling as whole bikes, no way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:44 pm 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

tristanl.g wrote:
could any one help me with a frame? I have Carlton Pro Am, I think it's a 1981 from the id number. It's 531 steel, it okay condition, bits of surface rust, so could probably do with a respray.

Just wondered how much I should ask for it?

Hard to say without seeing it but I'd ballpark at about £80 - £150 depending upon condition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:51 pm 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

tom_d wrote:
I'm doing some work for a re-cycling charity, I've pulled out the more special items and am wondering of the value of the below items....

1973 Raleigh Carlton Super tourer - £100 to £130'ish

Claud Butler Torino - £150 (haven't looked to see how bad the paint is but it's look lovely in that picture)

GB Kromo Stem & GB Hinduminium spearpoint stems - £20 to £30 each

Reynolds Continental Hiduminium alloy bars - £20'ish

Post subject: Re: 1965 holdsworth
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:53 pm 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

Chuck moo wrote:
I was aiming at selling the frame only as I am splitting it to get some of the parts for my new bike, a ti raleigh. I wanted the cranks,headset, seatpost and brake levers. So how much for frame only and if the price was right the complete bike and I d start looking for the bits else where.
The frame is 531, has matching frame and fork numbers. Original paint, rare simplex drop outs, fast back seat stays, nervex lugs, chromed head lugs.
Parts are campag apart from hubs, brake calipers are mafac.

That sir is absolutely stunning! Frame only about £200 - £250'ish. Complete about £450 - £500. You may get more at auction or anyway else. Classic British high end bikes are quite desirable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:23 pm 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

Spokesmann wrote:
Tel wrote:
Hey Sean, a worthy cause selling stuff to equip your new steed with complete DA ;)

Everyone likes an all chrome frame. AFAIK Sun only made low end bikes so I'd value the frame at between £50 - £70 but personally I'd try to shift it on eBay too making sure to include fixie and single speed into the description....Could go for a fair bit more if the right people are looking.

Id put that frame nearer 100-120. A very nice Carlton built frame.

Always nice to have someone elses input. All my valuations are just in my humble opinion....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:24 pm 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

Flandria wrote:

About £170 - £200

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:29 pm 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

RooKilo wrote:
Hi, I'm putting my Vitus 979 up for sale but first I'd like a valuation from the forum....

I'd agree with some of what agentorange said apart from the complete build valuation. It looks extremely clean and I'd value it at high £200's to £300 complete. Just a shame it's not got 1050 levers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 154  Next