Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:16 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 154  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:28 pm 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

Two_Headed_God wrote:

Keep it as it is, originality won't increase the value of this one I'm afraid and keeping it in it's practical state will make it easier to sell.

Price wise probably somewhere between £150 - £200. Quite a big bike though so you'll have to be patient (in my experience anyway)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:14 am 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

So, the bike isn't for sale, but I'd be interested in parting with the componentry if it's worth doing so I can get the latest Dura Ace.

So full Dura Ace 7403 in pretty much perfect condition, original brake blocks, chain rings etc. I'm pretty sure I've got the Dura Ace hubs laced up on some Mavic rims in the loft.

Also a FRM titanium bb

The wheels currently on the bike

I've also got a Cinelli Grammo Titanium threadless stem 1" that could also be available too.

And a set of Kestrel Carbon EMS forks (black clear finish 1" steerer)

So can anyone help with some valuations??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:19 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Tel wrote:
Keep it as it is, originality won't increase the value of this one I'm afraid and keeping it in it's practical state will make it easier to sell.

Price wise probably somewhere between £150 - £200. Quite a big bike though so you'll have to be patient (in my experience anyway)

Many thanks for that quick reply.

Think I may keep it if thats all its worth - the STI levers cost that much on their own. Might have to build another garage to keep all my bikes in though . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:36 pm 
Old School Hero

I really like that giant, I'd happily pay £250 a feel i've got my moneys worth.
Needs bartape though the grips don't look as nice :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:02 am 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

^Thanks Jordan thought this was a one man show!

There you go you could happily get £250 for it, although if you paid £150 just for the STI's someone must have seen you coming! :D Giants, in my limited experience, just don't seem to have good resale unless they are of the TCR family or something else unique to them i.e Cadex (which can also be picked up cheap). Shame for the seller but great for the buyer as they're very good bikes in my humble opinion.

My advice is always to start high then drop it accordingly.

Last edited by Tel on Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:07 am 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

Wingmanrob wrote:
So, the bike isn't for sale, but I'd be interested in parting with the componentry if it's worth doing so I can get the latest Dura Ace.

So full Dura Ace 7403 in pretty much perfect condition, original brake blocks, chain rings etc. I'm pretty sure I've got the Dura Ace hubs laced up on some Mavic rims in the loft.

Also a FRM titanium bb

The wheels currently on the bike

I've also got a Cinelli Grammo Titanium threadless stem 1" that could also be available too.

And a set of Kestrel Carbon EMS forks (black clear finish 1" steerer)

So can anyone help with some valuations??

DA groupset with wheels £350 - £400.

Grammo stem - £60 - £80

Forks - £80 - £120 (1" forks can go for a lot depending on shape, not sure whether Kestrel forks would go for more than any other in all honesty)

I'd have to Google the wheels and bb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:37 am 
Dirt Disciple

Tel wrote:
although if you paid £150 just for the STI's someone must have seen you coming! :D

I wanted 105 kit to match everything else, so my own choice to overpay I guess. Although if you know where I can buy a pair of 3x9 Shimano 105 STI levers for less than £150 I would be grateful if you would let me know!

Taking everything into account it is probably worth more to me than I can reasonably expect to sell it for.
Its worth keeping it even if I mainly ride my winter bike and only get this one out for the odd time trial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:40 pm 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

My apologies, if you brought the STI's new then yes they would be very expensive. My head is stuck in used mode.

If you find it too large then I'd just replace the frame. You could get £100 plus for that. And please do not take my valuation as gospel, JC said he'd pay £250 and consider it good value who's to say you couldn't get even more....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:57 pm 
Old School Hero

Yeah likewise my opinion isn't based on a terrible amount, I just see it as a nice frame built up with decent groupset notably the useful triple crankset and the quality STI levers.

And it looks nice! Apart from the foam grips :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:42 pm 
Dirt Disciple

JordanCarroll wrote:
Yeah likewise my opinion isn't based on a terrible amount, I just see it as a nice frame built up with decent groupset notably the useful triple crankset and the quality STI levers.

And it looks nice! Apart from the foam grips :p

Thanks for that. I admit the grips were a mistake and will be replaced - at the time I was experimenting with different stems and wanted something that I could slide off and replace fairly easily. I think the original bar tape may have been white, so i think I'll replace the foam with some proper white bar tape.

Thanks once again both of you for your useful and friendly input,

Simon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 154  Next