Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:15 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 154  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:45 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

I presume this is a Perthus frame and forks, they tend to go for £200-250 depending on condition but that is in standard configuration with Shimano 600 rather than Campy kit. Given the history attached to this model, assuming you can prove the provenance beyond the name on the top tube then it should go for more than that, but how much more depends on the day. I would suggest you give it some TLC before you try and sell it as it will look a lot better cleaned up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:16 pm 

Brendan wrote:
I presume this is a Perthus frame and forks, they tend to go for £200-250 depending on condition but that is in standard configuration with Shimano 600 rather than Campy kit. Given the history attached to this model, assuming you can prove the provenance beyond the name on the top tube then it should go for more than that, but how much more depends on the day. I would suggest you give it some TLC before you try and sell it as it will look a lot better cleaned up.

Thanks for the reply Brendan, this is Reynolds 753 tubing and Peugeot frame. With regard to provenance, I'm not sure how I could prove it, was bought through a casual friend at the time that I am no longer in touch with who came from the Milton Keynes area and who knew Paul. A friend of mine also bought a couple of Paul's old bikes, a Vitus that he had ridden when he was still competing as an amateur and another I can't recall. I would imagine that the decals and detailing would provide sufficient confidence. The brazed on lug for the race number on the top frame and as mentioned the wolber decals, campagnola equipped decals etc. Never saw these on a reproduction bike, but might be wrong? I am 100% that the bike is genuine, though in fairness I understand interested parties would want to be sure if the history of the bike was the appeal of it.

With regards tidying it up, I think it would deserve better than what I would be able to do and would be better off in the hands of someone who was skilled at this kind of work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:27 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

You are right, those items aren't standard and certainly aren't on my Perthus, nice bike, I love mine and I am sure yours is just that bit better but then I could be accused of being a campafile!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:07 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

I'd try and sell this on ebay with a reserve you would be comfortable with. To give you an idea of Team Bikes a mint Gazelle 1997 ex TVM Team Laurent Roux sold for £500 on ebay. Due to the condition I think around the £300 max, sadly I think you would get more for it in parts broken down, but I would hate to sell a bike that way though I have done it this way in the past, its like ripping the soul out of the bike especially if its one you owner and enjoyed riding, sometimes money wins over heart though :cry:

You need to get to your target buyer as this item is all about supply and demand, and correct marketing. The frame number hanger gives the bike its race credentials, I have the ANC behind the scences book somewhere in my cupboard that no doubt pictures this bike

Hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:40 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

It may say Peugeot on the frame - but is it actually a real Peugeot? Would riders in a pro team ride a 'stock' frame or would they have had a special build frame badged up? Whatever it is physically, as you say, it's a bit of British cycling history. Are there any other ANC ex-team bikes out there still in this condition - if indeed any still exist at all?

Quite desirable IMHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:34 pm 

Thanks to Brendan, Lemond Fan and Old Ned,

Appreciate your comments and advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:40 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Old Ned wrote:
It may say Peugeot on the frame - but is it actually a real Peugeot? Would riders in a pro team ride a 'stock' frame or would they have had a special build frame badged up? Whatever it is physically, as you say, it's a bit of British cycling history. Are there any other ANC ex-team bikes out there still in this condition - if indeed any still exist at all?

Quite desirable IMHO.

Comparing the lug work with the one on mine, its identical so I would guess this is a real Peugeot. The only way to be certain would be the serial number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:41 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

A couple of people could help you some of which are on facebook or could be contacted by email

Phil Griffiths - Ex ANC Halfords Team Manager - Now Motorpoint Team Manager and owner of Yellow Ltd (importer of Assos Clothing in the UK)

Adrian Timmis - Ex ANC rider

Malcolm Elliott - Ex ANC rider and still a rider for Motorpoint

From what I have read in the book the team sounded very disorganised even when at the Tour de France so doubt there are any records as to bikes etc still in existance. The holding company Action For Sports went bankrupt in 1987 and the owner and ex ANC company owner Tony Capper did a runner during the Tour de France.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:15 am 

Thanks for that Lenond Fan. I read the book to, is a great read and I'm inclined to agree that I doubt very much any record would remain of the bikes, possibly Pegeot might have documented them, but even that I doubt.

Think Paul Watson is knocking around doing photography (cycling related), saw something aloing those lines in Cycling Weekly a couple of years back so whether he is still doing that? Also Steve Snowling a well known mechanice was pretty local to me and he used to do some work ont he bike years back. Not sure whatbecame of him?

I really have no doubt about the provenance to be honest, just deciding what to do with the bike.

Thanks for your ideas though, I appreciate it and sure they are good lines of enquiry if anyone interested in acquiring the bike establishing beyond doubt that its genuine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:11 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi all, could someone give me an idea of what this frame is worth? I have had it a while and used to be my training bike

The frame is in near perfect condition with very little signs of wear (head tube cable rub really). The tubes are ovalized at the head tube. The tubeset sticker does not give much info apart from Dedacciai Acciaio Legato.

Hope soneone can help, i do have some more pics if it helps.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 154  Next