Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:15 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:12 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

jhudson190 wrote:
Looking for the rough value of a Dawes Windrush. I'll have a look later and look for the serial number.

Attachment:
DW.jpg

Realistically between £50-£100, probably closer to £50. The market for vintage bikes is poor at the moment.

Post subject: Re: Help Needed
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:01 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi all, I'm currantly sorting my late parents house out and have decided that their vintage cycles need to be sold. I will give you a bit of history first, my Dad was in the RAF in the late 1940's based at Little Rissington, while he was there he bought himself a bike to get to and from the train station. He was also a member of the Rapier Rc as was my mum. I have 2 solo cycles and a Tandem which they used to race and tour on, these are in original unrestored condition with mostly original parts. I also have some wheels and other bike bits, original panniers and lights.
The bikes are as follows

Holdsworth Cyclone Delux, Simplex Gears, 531 tubeing, Dynohub with front light fitted. I have the frame number

Claude Butler Fixed wheel with Brooks saddle. I have the frame number

Claude Butler Tandem Simplex Gears and 1 leatheries saddle. I have the frame number

Holdsworth Trike conversion all complete with stay bars and brake cables for the drum brakes. I have the number for this too.

I have pics for you to have a look at, just message me. All of these are in original condition. If anyone could give me an idea of the price for these as Ebay has not been very helpful. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Help Needed
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:12 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Roy V wrote:
Hi all, I'm currantly sorting my late parents house out and have decided that their vintage cycles need to be sold. I will give you a bit of history first, my Dad was in the RAF in the late 1940's based at Little Rissington, while he was there he bought himself a bike to get to and from the train station. He was also a member of the Rapier Rc as was my mum. I have 2 solo cycles and a Tandem which they used to race and tour on, these are in original unrestored condition with mostly original parts. I also have some wheels and other bike bits, original panniers and lights.
The bikes are as follows

Holdsworth Cyclone Delux, Simplex Gears, 531 tubeing, Dynohub with front light fitted. I have the frame number

Claude Butler Fixed wheel with Brooks saddle. I have the frame number

Claude Butler Tandem Simplex Gears and 1 leatheries saddle. I have the frame number

Holdsworth Trike conversion all complete with stay bars and brake cables for the drum brakes. I have the number for this too.

I have pics for you to have a look at, just message me. All of these are in original condition. If anyone could give me an idea of the price for these as Ebay has not been very helpful. Thanks.

Hello Roy, search for DW scrimshaws Holdsworth frame numbrs thread for the Holdsworth stuff, for the clauds, PM me so photos and frame numbers and I'll see what I can do for you..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:10 am 
Dirt Disciple

Thanks for your help. I found Dave Scrimshaws list and discovered that the Holdsworth Cyclone Delux was built in 1951, there does not seem to be any up for sale on the auction watch so still at a bit of a loss of its value.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:14 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Hello Roy,
Sorry, its been a busy day with friends and family over for lunch, so the wife’s not been too keen for to “muck about with bike stuff”.

What I meant to say earlier was I need photographs of the numbers, because the ones you posted don’t quite add up, sometimes the stamping isn’t clear, either by poor stamping or paint/dirt fill etc. I’ve got pretty good at spotting numbers that other people just don’t notice, just because I know what I’m looking for.
(see my thread viewtopic.php?f=12&t=392124 )

What you have are two very nice Clauds, both definitely pre the 1958 Holdsworth takeover.
The Tandem 3362545 is a “Dual Purpose“ with the short wheel base curved rear seat tube, this only appeared in 1938, 1951 and 1956 catalogue in that configuration with those rear drop-outs and rear triangle frame stays.
It does appear in the 1954 catalogue but without frame stays.
So either you have frame number 3362 from 1954 May (545) this I think is the most likely
Or its from 1938 and the number has been miss read……. There’s not a lot of build difference between 1938 and 1954 because little or no change happened between 1939 & 1946.
But guess which one is worth the most?

Attachment:
DSCF0031.JPG
DSCF0031.JPG [ 400.06 KiB | Viewed 1207 times ]

As for the single 072720 , again definitely a proper Claud as Holdsworth never produced a lug-less frame but the number you’ve given only fits the Holdsworth six figure starting with a zero system which started in the mid-seventies… this isn’t a seventies bike.

Attachment:
IMG_20190622_125720.jpg
IMG_20190622_125720.jpg [ 333.19 KiB | Viewed 1207 times ]

So please e-mail me photos of the numbers, and if at all possible the number stamped inside the steering tube as these often are the most clear to read.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:57 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I have emailed you the photos of the frame numbers, hopefully you will be able to find the infomation a bit easier.
Really appreciate your help with this, thank you so much.
Roy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:21 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Ok so these make all the difference,
the single is a Super Velo from 1949, that first digit is infact a 9 not a zero so 972720 reads as 1949July7frame production number 2720
Attachment:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 248.76 KiB | Viewed 1203 times ]

Attachment:
P3.jpg
P3.jpg [ 464.58 KiB | Viewed 1204 times ]

And the short wheelbase model 49 "Dual Purpose" Tandem is from definiatly from 1954 I've just noticed the text in the catalogue refers to the rear triangle struts on the model 49
Attachment:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 159.35 KiB | Viewed 1202 times ]

Attachment:
Tandems.jpg
Tandems.jpg [ 99.2 KiB | Viewed 1202 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:54 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

Going back to the original question of what they are worth is a difficult one to answer. Both these bikes have valuable kit on them so if you put a simple low start listing on eBay they will be snapped up, stripped and flogged off.
That would be a shame for such lovely survivors.
If you want to get the best money for them I would thoroughly but carefully clean them, even have a go at polishing some of the chrome then eBay them with as much info and descent photos, inc the number stamps and all frame joint/lug details, brake bridge, head set, drop outs etc...
Then start them low but with reserves.
I wouldn’t sell the tandem for less than £500 and the Super Velo for less than £300

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:15 am 
Dirt Disciple

Thank you so much for your help and all the information you have passed on.
Would you be able to point me in the direction of someone who can help in the same way that you have with the Holdsworth Cyclone De lux.
Thanks. Roy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:40 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I have had a sort out of some photos that I thought might be of interest to some of you of my Dad in his cycling days and found some of him on his Claud Butler stripped for racing. I also found a news paper clipping and a certificate.

Attachments:
IMG_002.jpg
IMG_002.jpg [ 287.98 KiB | Viewed 1148 times ]
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg [ 320.06 KiB | Viewed 1148 times ]
6k.jpg
6k.jpg [ 224.15 KiB | Viewed 1148 times ]
6a.jpg
6a.jpg [ 76.94 KiB | Viewed 1148 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169  Next