Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:03 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 154  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:21 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Craig Nicholson wrote:
My mate showed me this the other day and asked what it's worth. A Raleigh record with no idea of date - he just said he'd had it ages!

That's a Record Sprint - a popular budget "racer" from the early/mid eighties. 501 frame and cheap parts.

http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/R ... l83_08.jpg

One in showroom condition went for £150 not long ago on eBay, but that was surprisingly high. In that condition and in a less popular size, I'd say £50 top whack. Probably less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:03 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Thank you very much for the speedy response. He had it for sale at £60 for a while and no one was interested - now we know why!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:05 am 
Old School Grand Master

Does anyone still use tubs? I went to a carboot sale yesterday, and there was a mongrel bike that I picked up. The frame has a home with a friend, but not sure what to do with the wheels though.
Mavic GP4 rims, laced onto Campagnolo Record hubs. All pretty good condition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:20 pm 
Retro Guru

Hi thinking about selling my Harry Hall from approx 1970. I think it is the only 50th frame built by Harry Hall (definietly between 0 nd 300 according to Gragham Hall) and has the original paint in great condition bar a few marks and a spot of surface rust under the top tube. Made from Reynolds 531 with Campagnolo dropouts.

All original as far as I can tell. Seattube is between 56-57cm. Most components look like new.

spec:
Campagnolo record hubs on AVA tubular rims with Campagnolo quick releases - tubs could do with replacing
Campagnolo BB and headset
Campagnolo Gran sport chainset (3 arm)
Campagnolo pedals and Christophe clips
Campagnolo front mech and downtube shifters
Campagniolo Nuovo Record rear mech (dated 1970)
Regina freewheel + plus 2 unused spares
Zeus seatpost and Cinelli Unicantor saddle - saddle shows signs of wear
Cinelli bars and stem
Weinmann type 500 quick release calipers

Wondering what its worth. I though it was too small for me, but just measured it and it is bang on (about 57cm). Trouble is I am about to receive my freshly painted Merlin Racing Cycles frame back from Bob Jackson so can't keep both! Might stip the Harry Hall and sell F+F or sell complete.

Thanks for any input[/img]

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:55 pm 
Old School Hero

Hi everyone. I acquired the bike below about 9 months ago and it's served its purpose of getting me fit enough and enthusiastic enough to get back into mountain biking. I'm therefore considering selling it to generate some funds for the new bike.

I've always thought that the Gipiemme groupset on it was quite nice, and after doing some research it seems that it's the Crono Special. According to this site, that's the top of the line one.

I'm basically just wondering whether I should try to flog the bike as a whole and get back the £60 I paid for it, or whether the Gipiemme bits are nice enough to warrant dismantling it and selling them on their own? The bits I have are:

Front and rear brakes
Front and rear brake levers
Down-tube mounted shifters
Front derailleur
Rear derailleur
Cranks
Chainrings
Headset

I also had some wheels with Gipiemme hubs, and could probably get them back if it made the deal more attractive. Everything's in reasonable "used but still pretty nice" condition. More photos here. The bike frame has been re-sprayed at some point and is showing some rust, and the saddle, stem and bars are all pretty new, so nothing particularly special there. Any comments would be gratefully received as I know basically nothing about road bikes! :)

Post subject: Olmo Road Bike
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:16 am 
Dirt Disciple

I picked up a vintage Olmo, and before today I didn't even know what an Olmo was.

I made a Shuttlefly page for All the pics I took:

http://vintageolmo.shutterfly.com/

If you check out the bike say something in the Guestbook.

It looks like it has a bunch of old Campagnolo parts on it which I had planned to use on another frame, but most of the parts (crank, seatpost, stem) have been engraved and pantagraphed with the Olmo branding. It just seems strange to take the matching parts off the Olmo and put it onto something modern.

Seems like all Campy Nuevo Record and Gran Sport. Maillard hubs, and TTT stem and bars. Strangely almost every component on this bike has olympic rings on it. The cranks, seatpost, and shifters are engraved with the olympic rings. The TTT bars have the rings on them. The Maillard hubs have twin interlocking rings. What is up with the rings?

My question is did I overpay at 100 pounds ($160)? Is this frame worth repainting and having the lugs chromed? What would this bike be worth restored with beautiful paint? What is it worth in its rusty state? Why the obsession with the Olympic rings on everything? Thoughts?

What would you do with the bike?

Sadly I can't even ride it. I completely underestimated just how small a 60cm would be, for me (I ride a 66cm). I'd love to see what a vintage lightweight ride was like.

What can you tell me about the components? Are any of them worth anything? Do they have more value on the Olmo or off? Would there be a market (buyer) if I had the frame repainted, with new decals, and a custom head badge made up? What would be the price range?

I'd like to see this bike rediscover the road. Too bad it can't be me on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:44 am 
Dirt Disciple

Any thoughts on value on the Olmo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:47 am 
Retro Guru

http://imgshack.info/viewer.php?file=5t ... v9pyzx.jpg

97 klein quantum pro

very few nicks on the paint (pinhead sized) and no dents or anything

what do you guys reckon with or wtihout the wheels (i think the wheels are hed cx)

& the fork is sticking out like that because i havnt pressed the bottom bearing on all the way yet (im still waiting for the proper top one to come into shop)

Post subject: Re: Olmo Road Bike
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:33 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

Mtnbke wrote:
I picked up a vintage Olmo, and before today I didn't even know what an Olmo was.

I made a Shuttlefly page for All the pics I took:

http://vintageolmo.shutterfly.com/

If you check out the bike say something in the Guestbook.

It looks like it has a bunch of old Campagnolo parts on it which I had planned to use on another frame, but most of the parts (crank, seatpost, stem) have been engraved and pantagraphed with the Olmo branding. It just seems strange to take the matching parts off the Olmo and put it onto something modern.

Seems like all Campy Nuevo Record and Gran Sport. Maillard hubs, and TTT stem and bars. Strangely almost every component on this bike has olympic rings on it. The cranks, seatpost, and shifters are engraved with the olympic rings. The TTT bars have the rings on them. The Maillard hubs have twin interlocking rings. What is up with the rings?

My question is did I overpay at 100 pounds ($160)? Is this frame worth repainting and having the lugs chromed? What would this bike be worth restored with beautiful paint? What is it worth in its rusty state? Why the obsession with the Olympic rings on everything? Thoughts?

What would you do with the bike?

Sadly I can't even ride it. I completely underestimated just how small a 60cm would be, for me (I ride a 66cm). I'd love to see what a vintage lightweight ride was like.

What can you tell me about the components? Are any of them worth anything? Do they have more value on the Olmo or off? Would there be a market (buyer) if I had the frame repainted, with new decals, and a custom head badge made up? What would be the price range?

I'd like to see this bike rediscover the road. Too bad it can't be me on it.

all that pantographing and patina has got to be worth what you paid for it. an interesting bit of cycling 'stuff'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:20 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Oop`s

Last edited by Daddy-Cool on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1537 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 154  Next