My Bike Jumble purchase.

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
Last Sunday I went to the bike jumble near Hull (as posted in Events), determined not to spend to much, and just get one or two bits and pieces. I picked up a set of Cinelli 'Angel' tri-bars, some drop 'bars, a tyre, Look pedals, STI cable stops all quite cheap.

But there were also some bikes for sale, most of which were real collectors stuff with prices to match, the type of thing to drool over - but not buy!

However (there's always a 'however' isn't there!) one bike was something I've always wanted ever since I saw the first ones on display at Harrogate Cycle Show sometime in the early 80's. With the 'Old Skool' time trial races next season I fancied something special to ride and this was just the thing. I kept on going back to look at it and eventually haggled with the owner and bought it, all the time wondering what Mrs Ned would say when I got home with yet another bike! In the end she wasn't to bad about it, I don't think she can grasp the concept of owning more than one bike even though I try and explain that each of them is different and designed for a specific purpose.

Whatever, this is the bike. It's an MKM 'Ultimate' ultra short wheelbase TT bike complete with PMP cranks and Huret 'Jubilee' gear, both of which are a sort of 'Holy Grail' to vintage TT fans. I need a larger chainring (144 BCD 52 tooth) and some light weight 700C wheels rather than the 'sprints and tubs' it has now. I can't be doing with tubulars these days. I will also change the 'bars and brake levers with some I've already got to match my old TT'ing days.

I hope you like it - I do! Any questions about it please ask.

Attachments

• Ultimate.1.A.jpg
    Ultimate.1.A.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 2,478
  • Ultimate.3.A.jpg
    Ultimate.3.A.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 2,478
  • Ultimate.4.A.jpg
    Ultimate.4.A.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 2,478
:shock:

That is just beautiful! The fillets are stunning, it's a proper example of the frame builders art. Congratlations.

NickD":1suisgpc said:
That really is short wheelbase!

Do I spy rear facing dropouts too?

Yep, I can convert it to a 'Fixie' no probs!! (Absolutely No Chance)

Wheelbase with the wheel right forward is approx. 35" and there's a lot of toe overlap so ride with care!

I'll have to shorten the chain (or get a REALLY BIG chainwheel) because my heel catches the rear mech!

I saw this at the jumble, very nice..
There's another bike jumble in Thurcroft near Sheffield this sunday.

beautiful arty ride

That is simply gorgeous!

would have been worth having your ears chewed off by the mrs i reckon ;)

I have just started to get into retro road stuff! I can see it getting expensive :!:

Re: beautiful arty ride

slimjoe":3jqwyw9g said:
That is simply gorgeous!

would have been worth having your ears chewed off by the mrs i reckon ;)

I have just started to get into retro road stuff! I can see it getting expensive :!:

But I need somewhere to hang my glasses on!

Yes, it can be a bit expensive - but try out cycle jumbles, you'll be surprised what you can pick up for fair prices. I didn't spend a fortune on the bike.

That's really quite special - like a Sun Manx for the eighties. I came close to buying a nice MKM a few years ago, but I dithered (story of my life) and Will Meister snagged it.

Aero Gran Compe ultra-short-reach brakes?

Most of the PMP cranks I've seen have been new-in-box, waiting for some gullible soul to believe the hype. They'd be great with the Polchlopek oval chainrings I bought on Sunday.

Hey look, someone else had the same idea!

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Rarest/pmp+pop.htm

Very sweet with some lovely detailing, will be interested to hear what times you post on it

Back