Campagnolo Cassettes

retrojon

Retro Guru
Can someone explain them to me. I have a wheel with an 8 speed record cassette, and one with a 9 speed veloce. Are the clusters interchangeable?
They seem pretty much the same width. I'd take it off and experiment, but no tool yet...

From memory the 8spd is similar in profile to shimano, with small 'teeth'. The 9spd set up is much deeper and not interchangable with the 8spd.
Found this ;)

If you can, change the axle and freehub to a 9-speed model from a late 90s Veloce or upwards hub.

You should be aware that there were 2 versions of the Veloce hub. The newer one with cartridge bearings and the discontinued one with loose bearings which is mechanically identical to the more expensive models of the day.

You can't fit 9 speed cassettes on 8 speed hubs as the splines are too shallow.

There may be some compatible cassettes available from other manufacturers that might work.

dunno what your intent is, but the 8s cogs/spacers will slip right onto the 9s freehub and seem to run perfectly in the stand...

don't be tempted!

without the deeper spline interface to spread the load, you will quickly tear up the alloy freehub body with the short steel cog splines!

Back