Removing powder coat from frame

Eagach

Orange 🍊 Fan
I will be trying to get a frame and forks back to the bare metal, it has been powder coated and so far i've been quoted approx £50 to blast from a powder coat company, with around £ 100 to undercoat and coat. I am thinking to try painting myself having seen some of the impressive results posted on here.
How do the prices sound, i've not had this done before so have nothing to go on.
Other ways to remove the coat seem to be burning off or the use of some pretty toxic chemicals ( gasket remover) neither of which i fancy.
Any ideas ?

Cheers in advance.

Sounds a bit pricey...
I’m pretty sure I’ve not payed more than £75 for a dip strip & blast, then a one colour powder coat

Re:

Never had it done, but I bought an mtb frame from the mtb section. The guy was asking £40 which he said was basically to cover the cost of a strip and powder coat. The paint is still going good
So I would say there must be cheaper out there

Re:

That's cheap....I asked 2 nearest to quote, only heard back from one. Anyone used powder coaters in the Suffolk area ?

Re:

Is Haverhill too far? I think prices for blasting and basic powder coat start from 65 at Powderplus. Still waiting to get my first frame back but other good reports on their work here and elsewhere.

Re:

Thanks for that Err, Haverhill is possible, you'll have to post when you get your frame back...

Re:

Will do, although mine is a winter commuter that was heavily rust pitted prior to blasting so I do not expect miracles!

Re:

Well, I got the frame back. It looks pretty good but I went for the most basic powder (it's a commuter bike) in a semi gloss. TBH it looks very much like the green you get on powdercoated railings (it probably is!). £70 altogether.

The rust pits aren't evident after blasting and coating, but there is a bit of orange peel to the surface texture in places and it is worst where it was rusted so maybe the powder had to be thicker there?

Masking/plugging of bolt holes etc looks to be good but they did not mask the fork crown shoulder. That also got a bit damaged during blasting but I think this was not their fault but a defect that the blasting process uncovered - I'd previously filed the crown shoulder down to fit a smaller crown race (27.0-26.4), leaving it foil thin and it looks like the brazing was not complete all the way around where the shoulder attaches to the steerer. This bit then deformed a little.

I think if I were doing it again on a better frame I'd pay a bit more for a coat of clear powder over the top and select a base with a bit more depth or sparkle/gloss.

Back