The holy grail of fixed speed riding

pistol13

Retro Guru
Well for those that don't know, sturmey archer used to build a 3 speed fixed hub back in the fiftys. Nowadays these are uber rare and uber expensive and i personally have never seen one! Anyway about a year ago i started reading on various forums that sunrace
(who now own the sturmey archer name) were considering building a mondern day version. I for one didn't believe it would happen until this saturday at the London cycle show i held one of the prototypes in my hand! Yes it is true, they really are making this thing :shock: Retail estimated at £100 and available early 2009. Form an orderly cue :)

It's such a shame all the fixie riders have cut off all their lugs for cables really, just to create that 'clean' image. now none of the supercool riders will be able to ride the latest craze.

Would be great for winter road riding. Nice and simple and no awkward mechs to try and keep clean.

James":mbprcun5 said:
It's such a shame all the fixie riders have cut off all their lugs for cables really, just to create that 'clean' image. now none of the supercool riders will be able to ride the latest craze.

I never bother 'cleaning up' frames (or painting them for that matter) so I could cable up to run one of these, but it spoils the simple beauty of fixed, doesn't it? I like to take my wheel out & flip it to get low gear & it's lighter.

Back