Campagnolo Compatibility And Feasibility Question.

Markone

Retro Guru
I have a mid 90's 'pointy' hood 9 speed Veloce ergoshifter groupset on a Colnago Super of the same vintage.I'm wondering as to the feasibility of replacing the ergoshifters with Campagnolo 9 speed indexed downtube shifters.Can anyone who knows tell me if Veloce 9 speed downtube shifters are compatible with the above and if not which DT shifters are and also the availability of 9 speed Campag shifters?The crankset,by the way is a triple,but presumably the lefthand shifter would have sufficient range for the triple front mech?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: or possibly use one of these and Sunrace 9 speed DT shifters?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/images/prod ... /19046.jpg

Re:

The main problem in answering you was that there were two types of 9 speed campag shifter - roughly pre and post 2000 - both of which had different pull ratios and compatibility.

so first you need to establish which you have. If like you say its a mid 90's bike and all the kit was added then, its likely you have the first generation ones.

Secondly, if you find some campag 9 speed downtube levers to match your kit, you need to establish which of the two pull ratios they are.

I also know that generally both campag 9 speeds didn't have many (if any) cross-compatibilities with other manufacturers' mechs, unlike 10 speed, which can be made to work with 8 or 9 speed shimano.

I don't know much else about that era of campag, so cant help further

The last year of the pointed top first generation 9 speed ergo shifters was 1998, but according to the Campagnolo catalogue for that year the only 9 speed downtube shifters were Record. I think Veloce were only ever available as 8 speed downtube shifters.

If you really want Campagnolo 9 speed indexed downtube shifters then your best chance would be to adapt a set of time trial bar end shifters but given that 9 speed wasn't around too long before 10 speed came out, your chances of finding those would be slim.

So it may be that you need to use one of those Jtek shiftmates with a Shimano compatible indexed shifter or go with a friction shifter from Dia-Compe.

That’s a good price for these things if indeed they are indexing type as I was led to believe that you indexed 8 & friction was used for the last one ???
So the OP should snap these up as they are quite rare........

Thank you for all the responses and suggestions.It seems the use of Campag DT shifters is not really that practical as compatibility is awkward to establish and the levers are scarce to the point of being collectors items.I'll give it more thought,but aesthetically much prefer DT shifters on a vintage bike as I find brifters pretty ghastly to look at although Campag brifters are the most stylish of a bad bunch IMO.

Back