rusty frame help

goof

Retro Newbie
Hi,
Ive bought a rather rusty frame I'm about to start working on, Im not worried about saving the paint so I'm wondering if I should go straight to the paint stripping stage and then work on the rust? or clear the rust then strip..

A picture to show what Im working with-

Attachments

• rr.jpg
    rr.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 360
Who will paint the frame? I would get it blasted by the painter as the surface will be pristine when paint is applied.

Yeah, someone who knows what they are doing and can move it directly from clean, to prep, to paint.....

(If you're going to DIY it, don't sandblast it, use a soft abrasive media. Sand will quite possibly hole the tubes.)

Re:

I dont have a sandblaster and wanted to do it myself at home (home birth :? )
As far as paint was just going to leave it at metal but with some new reynolds decals.

I guess I will need some kind of dremmel/drill with some of those wire brush attachments to clear most of the rust first ?, or do people in the know think I can get it back to nice bare metal finish with a stripper (paint) and then onto wirewool wd40 etc.

Or if anyone has a good youtube link that they found helpful that would be great, they are mostly poor.

thanks

Strip it down completely, nitromors will get most of the paint off, and the scrubbing and scraping will take a lot of the loose rust off as well, then either a flapper wheel or wire brush attachment *carefully*.

You'll need to treat the bare metal with something, or it'll start corroding again incredibly quickly.

mattr":1alcj6az said:
Strip it down completely, nitromors will get most of the paint off, and the scrubbing and scraping will take a lot of the loose rust off as well, then either a flapper wheel or wire brush attachment *carefully*.

You'll need to treat the bare metal with something, or it'll start corroding again incredibly quickly.

this is a nice plan of attack, thanks mattr
yes just reading the frame can start re-rusting with the hour !

well I look forward to posting finished bike pic in this thread in a couple of weeks

I take mine to a local sandblaster. Not for blasting but for chemical dipping.
A frame normally cost £10 cash, much much much better than modern nitromors.

Back