NEW TI RALEIGH 753 40TH TDF ANNIVERSARY MODEL v.2

IJohnson

Dirt Disciple
Far be it for me to tell the mods their job, but I think these bikes and frames are a valid topic of discussion on this forum. Raleigh (or whatever company has the rights to the name these days) is targeting us with these products. They are after the nostalgia market, which we are a big part of I would guess. So I'm starting a new thread as we should be able to discuss these bikes. Please keep it on topic and hopefully the mods will let it stay.

Re:

I had a look at the Facebook page and YouTube video that I think belong to originalshinkicker(?) and I have to say this frameset does not look good! :cry:

119006156_1606158779543819_3550049909150298984_o.jpg

If I had spent £500 on one of these frames I'd be really rather annoyed at what Raleigh were trying to pass off as a replica of a TdF winning frame, let alone having spent £1500.
The quality looks absolutely shocking, and the inability to use the correct geometry is farcical for such a high priced item.

I mean no offence to anyone who has bought one. If you are happy with your purchase then that's all that matters. I just think it's really poor for a company to desecrate it's heritage by releasing a product as poor as this. Whether they have the moral right to claim that heritage, or just bought the right to claim it, it is an insult to all of us with a nostalgia for cycling heritage to do this. :x

Re:

I agree with poster #1
However, I'm not sure what else there is to discuss re the replica raleigh. The previous thread ended up being pretty divisive, the majority having vented their disappointment, in a quite logical and articulate manner and a minority seemingly defending the bike quite passionately.
And that's about it ...... unless of course people post up reviews, days out with their bikes etc

Re: Re:

pigman":38g4lndq said:
I agree with poster #1
However, I'm not sure what else there is to discuss re the replica raleigh. The previous thread ended up being pretty divisive, the majority having vented their disappointment, in a quite logical and articulate manner and a minority seemingly defending the bike quite passionately.
And that's about it ...... unless of course people post up reviews, days out with their bikes etc

Well this is a bike forum, and discussing bikes is what we do.
Even though the original thread hit 30 pages it doesn't mean that everyone got a chance to express their opinion. If the thread is divisive that's down to the quality of the product. As long as people stay on topic and stick to the rules about conduct, I think it would be useful to have somewhere people can discuss these frames.
If nothing else it might give people doing some research because they are thinking of buying one a fair warning so they can do so with their eyes open.

Re:

Yes, all fair points and it's a free country and all that, but if nothing new in content is going to be added and it's just a repeat of thread 1, albeit with some new contributors, then I just don't see the point.
If however thread 1 is removed as well as locked, then I think it's worth resurrecting
The fact that the thread was divisive, I see as a positive, cos like you say, it highlights a diversity of views. Apologies if you saw me saying it's divisiveness was reason to lock it

Re: Re:

pigman":2auqx5tv said:
Yes, all fair points and it's a free country and all that, but if nothing new in content is going to be added and it's just a repeat of thread 1, albeit with some new contributors, then I just don't see the point.
If however thread 1 is removed as well as locked, then I think it's worth resurrecting
The fact that the thread was divisive, I see as a positive, cos like you say, it highlights a diversity of views. Apologies if you saw me saying it's divisiveness was reason to lock it

It's all good. ;)

One thing we can be sure of. The locked thread won't be getting any new content unless it's unlocked! :LOL:

My understanding was it was locked because of the off-topic pictures and posts. Keep this one on topic and hopefully we will get new content.

I also think that this bike raises a lot of questions about heritage and nostalgia and the companies that want to trade on them. And not just Raleigh. There are a lot of companies both big and small in that business. As the consumers we should be able to have a say. Whether this thread is the place for that, I don't know. Let's see where it takes us if the mods allow.

What was the real reason the original was locked???
There was no insults thrown no swearing or threatening behavior just honest opinions which is healthy for such a frame as this, which has been a bit of a disappointment & Seemingly build quality is poor.....
I suspect the thread may have been bordering on being libelous?? or maybe some folk who actually work at Raleigh took offence & complained to the mods?? But then the thread is still there.....
So how far will this thread get???

Re:

I'll have another go. I bought one as a frame just to be nosy really - not really with an intention to hang on to it. Like many of us, the red black and yellow evokes nostalgic warmth but, lets face it, there are loads of other frames out there which make even the original SBDU frames look a bit utilitarian.

Anyway, I have built up my 56cm frame with my interpretation. Yes you can nit pick but at 15 mph, you probably cant tell the difference :D

Here's a picture again in case you lost it in 30 pages of guff!

Attachments

• 753.jpg
    753.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 1,423
So how is it? How does it ride in comparison to the nice bikes in your sig?

And most importantly, are you happy with it?

IJohnson":2hrw2zbt said:
So how is it? How does it ride in comparison to the nice bikes in your sig?

And most importantly, are you happy with it?
I’ve not yet ridden it. It needs a gear cable and a dry day. I’m happy with how it went together. I will give it a go but will probably pass it on at a loss

Back