Aero or non-aero brake cable routing for late 80s colnago

theup_cyclist

Dirt Disciple
Am putting together a late 80s colnago super confex with a chorus graphite groupset (courtesy of MatBH5)
What would be period correct in terms of brake cable routing. It looks like the levers and hoods can accommodate both aero and non-aero...

Attachments

• IMG_7655.jpg
    IMG_7655.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 839
  • IMG_7558.jpg
    IMG_7558.jpg
    635.5 KB · Views: 839
Re:

Does the lever have (how to explain this?) a v shaped tab that you add, which directs the bare cable towards the bars if you want to opt for the concealed cable option?

If so, I'd avoid this option, I snapped 2 cables due to the sharp angle needed to change the cable's direction. Mine were 1st gen deltas.

Aesthetically and for period correctness, either works

Re:

No you cant go aero without the tabs. By using the tabs my cables started fraying and then snapped. I then went back to exposed cables, made more palatable by the fact that quite a few pros continued to ride with exposed cables.

Try either way, see how you go. Ive always been of the heavier build and tend to use my brakes all or nowt, which possibly didn't help

I've got a Super Confex Kwantum jersey that may well be a match for your frame. I could possibly be persuaded to pass it on....................

If the levers are built for aero then I’d go aero just to be a little different as I don’t think it’d look out of place :)

Re: Re:

theup_cyclist":2zqb69x0 said:
I'd certainly be interested.... do you have a picture?

I'll try and get one taken for you. What sort of sizing are you?

Back