Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:16 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:30 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Yeah, they did the 2007 Orange Clockwork orange/white fade and numerous retrobikers Clockworks on the back of it. Real shame.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:43 pm 
Sticker Master
Sticker Master

:cry:

...and they call it progress

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:29 pm 
BoTM | rBoTM | rider
BoTM | rBoTM | rider

Popped in to see Our Donald this morning, just on the off chance I could sneak one last frame in for some work (new rear dropouts, 135mm re-spacing and a new modern brake bridge)

Well as you can see from the photo, he’s in good form. The building is now sold so no going back, but as he’s already said, it wasn’t so much a lack of trade, more a lack of skilled staff coming through and with a hi proportion retiring in the next two years he felt he had no choice but to sell the building. Which was snapped up and went quicker than they thought possible.

Donald’s a good man and nothing happened without the full understanding and support of all his staff. They are all now happily planning their retirements..

(I’ve got a feeling a few might keep there hand in the game from garden sheds though..)

Attachments:
443CF1CB-6BD5-4F28-BDE2-130CF8277AE1.jpeg
443CF1CB-6BD5-4F28-BDE2-130CF8277AE1.jpeg [ 2.33 MiB | Viewed 758 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:33 pm 
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner

Good luck to him then :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:37 am 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Yeah, I seen the post the other night and wondered.
Well good luck to them all for the future, they have done their time and served every one proud. It is a great shame non the less and find it crazy about the trouble training people up.
If it wasn't for the aging workforce bit I am sure they would double their staff overnight just from sticking a wanted ad in the roadbike section here :lol: :lol:
Though we wouldn't be good employees for them as we are good at building but not at selling them :lol: :lol:

Jamie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:12 am 
Retro Guru

Real shame, I used to regularly pop in when I lived in Leeds. From what others are saying though it sounds like they could have upped their prices, and perhaps offered higher salaries to attract young 'uns in. Or even retrained people in their 40s/50s looking for a career change - must be plenty of middle aged blokes looking to turn their passion for bikes into a job. Or perhaps they tried both of these approaches - succession planning in small businesses is difficult.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:13 am 
Retro Guru

greencat wrote:
Real shame, I used to regularly pop in when I lived in Leeds. From what others are saying though it sounds like they could have upped their prices, and perhaps offered higher salaries to attract young 'uns in. Or even retrained people in their 40s/50s looking for a career change - must be plenty of middle aged blokes looking to turn their passion for bikes into a job. Or perhaps they tried both of these approaches - succession planning in small businesses is difficult.

I don't think people realize just how gritty, dirty a job frame building is. It takes time and skill to train as well. I remember Jack Taylor saying only 3 in every 30 young men they took on were any good at it.

It's not well paid either. A welder working out at sea on oil rigs can earn double that of a cycle frame builder.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:01 am 
Retro Guru

Quote:
I don't think people realize just how gritty, dirty a job frame building is.

Yeah, and beyond frame building itself, a major repair/renovation of an existing frame must add another level of grime and grit, skill and judgement.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:31 am 
Dirt Disciple

A real pity but unfortunately a sign of the times. When I was racing and in the trade there were more frame builders than you could shake a stick at but most of the riders from this area went for Jacksons on Harehills Lane - especially for resprays, we would send batches of up to 10 frames at a time and never once had a complaint. After a decade working in IT I landed a job about a mile from the Harehills shop only to be disappointed to discover that they'd moved premises to the other side of the city.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:59 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Wondering what will happen to the brand names owned by the company "Bob Jackson" & "Merlin" ? Will these famous marques fade into history or find a new owner ?