Frame ID / Info Please :)

Zanoli

Old School Hero
Hi,

I recently acquired this nice steel lugged frame from mid to late 80's, branded as Rider.
It's kitted with a full Chorus groupset + Lambda wheels and possesses all the trademarks of high end racing bike : chrome fork and chainstays, race number hanger, pantographed parts (inc. stay and drop outs), elaborate paint scheme etc (see pics)
No wonder i had a hard time googling such a bike name :) it's still unknown to me. I hope somebody on here would help !

Cheers

Attachments

• Rider dropout.jpeg
    Rider dropout.jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 920
  • Rider stay.jpeg
    Rider stay.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 918
  • Rider bridge.jpeg
    Rider bridge.jpeg
    277.1 KB · Views: 918
  • rider chain.jpeg
    rider chain.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 918
  • rider front logo.jpeg
    rider front logo.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 918
  • rider logo.jpeg
    rider logo.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 920
  • Rider frame.jpeg
    Rider frame.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 920
Rider was a brand sold by Graham Weigh and included clothing and accessories as well as frames.

I've got these dated as March 1989. No idea who supplied the frames but Graham had lots of contacts in the trade so could have been anyone.

Attachments

• RiderAdvertMarch89.2.A.jpg
    RiderAdvertMarch89.2.A.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 859
  • RiderAdvertMarch89.1.A.jpg
    RiderAdvertMarch89.1.A.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 859
Old Ned":2y7320qe said:
Rider was a brand sold by Graham Weigh and included clothing and accessories as well as frames.

I've got these dated as March 1989. No idea who supplied the frames but Graham had lots of contacts in the trade so could have been anyone.

Thanks a mil, that's spot-on ! My frame looks very much like the one on the ad. Living outside Uk, i'm not exactly aware of Graham Weigh : if anyone has more infos i'm keen on receiving them !

Cheers

PS : i just noticed another topic regarding a Rider frame on the forum thanks to the Graham Weigh relation.viewtopic.php?f=12&t=124084&p=3065002#p3065002

I'm having to think back a long way to the mid/late 80s which was about the time I left the trade and packed in cycling. There are some very faint bells ringing suggesting that the frames were actually Italian - especially given the Columbus tubing and the unusual design rear brake bridge which was one also favoured by Bianchi at around the same time. I'd take a look at the bottom bracket to see if it threaded BSA, French or Italian.

Graham Weigh was a contempory of mine back in the late 60's, 70's in road racing in North Wales. He started a bike shop in Queensferry which became very well known through his frequent large spread adverts in 'Cycling' magazine, dealing mail order at competitive prices. Last time I met him was at the Manchester Velodrome cycle jumble a few years ago, still selling 'competitively' from his stall.

I think the rear brake bridge was quite a standard one used by many builders. The Italian Belato built Lemonds used it I think, engraved similarly but with Lemond or a Bilato signature. Possibly still available from CeWay Marketing. Graham (so I'm told) sourced frames from Diamant in Belgium at times and also from Terry Dolan and someone in the North East. I would expect any frame sold by Graham for the UK market to have British threading.

Thanks guys.
I have no info on tubing (no decal, and i'm afraid not to be able to really ID it without), but BB thread is italian and headset is british threading (but forks do not seem original to me).

Zanoli":276gvwnc said:
headset is british threading (but forks do not seem original to me).
Italian headsets used British diameter and thread pitch but a marginally different thread angle - it's very difficult to tell the difference without some very accurate tools as it's a matter of only 5 degrees. so they could well be the original forks.

It would be lovely to see this bike cleaned and polished up! That very 80s colour scheme actually looks quite contemporary now, I think (that's fashion for you, of course...). Would look really nice with the original white bar tape, too.

Back