Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:20 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:15 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Anyone have any tips for getting the tail light open?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:54 pm 
Retro Guru

I can't remember whether the red lens screws in, or just needs a twist.
Try dipping in hot water first.
Keith

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:08 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Just ordered a new kickstand thanks for the link middleworldbiker I'll be getting new tires, inner tube, rim tape and brake cable so I can get him on the road again and ride it safely.. I didn't mention it but there was a R.I kickstand on the bike... it's beyond repair though.

Attachments:
20200819_190124.jpg
20200819_190124.jpg [ 2.03 MiB | Viewed 457 times ]
20200819_190031.jpg
20200819_190031.jpg [ 1.83 MiB | Viewed 457 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:40 pm 

U r welcome! If you didn't already buy it try with this, maybe it will end at a lower price...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RALEIGH-INDU ... 4902.l9144

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:52 am 
Retro Guru

Lovely bikes these! Looks like a great project!. I've got a few of these now, after getting addicted......

I bought this 1951 Superbe as a parts donor bike:

When I got it home and inspected it it turned out to be better than expected so I restored it!

I converted it from rod brakes to period correct Raleigh Industries calipers and the Sports handlebars - the brake cables are the last thing I need to do to it before riding. Like yours they are Raleigh specific cables with a soldered nipple at either end and a set length. I've looked into how these are made and the nipples are soldered on - I'm going to get some nipples made so I can make up some new cables as they would've come from the factory. I'll let you know how I get on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:43 pm 
Dirt Disciple

sherlylock wrote:
Lovely bikes these! Looks like a great project!. I've got a few of these now, after getting addicted......

I bought this 1951 Superbe as a parts donor bike:

When I got it home and inspected it it turned out to be better than expected so I restored it!

I converted it from rod brakes to period correct Raleigh Industries calipers and the Sports handlebars - the brake cables are the last thing I need to do to it before riding. Like yours they are Raleigh specific cables with a soldered nipple at either end and a set length. I've looked into how these are made and the nipples are soldered on - I'm going to get some nipples made so I can make up some new cables as they would've come from the factory. I'll let you know how I get on.

I think yours actually is supposed to have rod brakes judging from the lamp as well. Its likely a older Superbe Dawn Roadster? there was a few models and some had rod brakes even into the 1960s. Not that it really matters i mean.. the differences are rod brakes and handlebars. good luck with getting the spacific cables sorted out.. i'll have to see how you get on if im not successful in my hunt for cable.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:34 am 
Dirt Disciple

I want to get a hold of some proper tools for these bikes as well including proper size wrenches/spanners and hub spanners for the 1990s gear hub and 1950s 4 speed hub. Not sure what the sizes are for the handlebar stem nuts.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:33 pm 
Retro Guru

karinexmachina wrote:

I think yours actually is supposed to have rod brakes judging from the lamp as well. Its likely a older Superbe Dawn Roadster? there was a few models and some had rod brakes even into the 1960s. Not that it really matters i mean.. the differences are rod brakes and handlebars. good luck with getting the spacific cables sorted out.. i'll have to see how you get on if im not successful in my hunt for cable.

Yep - first pic is the "before" pic - with the rod brakes. I got given a 1948 Ladies Light sports roadster which came with the handlebars/stem/calipers/cables - so I decided to convert it - preferring caliper brakes to rods.

Raleigh continued to manufacture roadsters with rod brakes into the 80's I believe.....for the nostalgia market. My current commuter bike is a 1960 Raleigh Dawn Tourist and that has rods too (they're not that bad to be honest)....

I'll have a look at my tail light to see how it comes apart - pretty sure it's the same as yours......and I need to change the bulb. Will let you know what I find. (Unless you've already sorted it?)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:49 am 
Retro Guru

karinexmachina wrote:
Anyone have any tips for getting the tail light open?

Undo the screw on the rear

The case slides off

Internals:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:20 am 
Dirt Disciple

Ah okay thanks I wasn't sure if it was like the front lamp on the older models that has a cross pin.. didn't wanna damage it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next