First ever Ahead stem...

Ruimteaapje

Old School Hero
I came across some images of this bike which is obviously not period-correct but it did make me wonder: what was the very first ahead stem and when was it introduced? In my memory they first appeared in 1996/97 but no doubt some niche brand or maker was already tinkering and used one earlier?

speed_002.jpg

Re:

Pace had the inverted style in 80s where the stem and steerer pulled against the fork crown. Iirc 1993 was the first year they appeared on mass bikes

My 93 Answer came with a headset so falls online with Longun

Ref the Pace example -he’s right but they took a normal headset and milled out the threads as they were to visionary /ahead of their time

In 1990 a 20-something mountain bike racer called John Radar was hawking his new headset design he called "light set" around the pits of bike races and showing it to anyone who would listen, until he bumped into Peter Gilbert, a Dia-Compe rep, at the suggestion of Ross Schafer of Salsa.

The final piece of the puzzle was the star nut that they came up with together when an office chair broke and they saw one in the chair mechanism.

Dia Compe had a big stake in Rock Shox at the time so could promote and sell these two cool products together circa 1992. I thing they also owned Tioga which was the aftermarket brand for aheadsets.

The patent expired in 2010, any made beofre that paid a fee to dia compe (now cane creek).

Imagine getting a royalty off every single aheadset equipped bike sale from 1992 to 2010.

Even if it were 1p....

Back