Sunbeam restoration

Mercianbloke

Devout Dirtbag
Hi there, I've just collected a Sunbeam gents bike and wondered if people here had an idea of the model and approximate age? Also, where to find the frame number? I can see marks on a rear dropout but I haven't cleaned anything yet. I am wondering if the number is on the dropout inside the "oil bath".

There is a gallery of images in this link (easier to do it this way so I don't have to resize things) - https://imgur.com/a/NT0kw9o

The front dynamo is BSA, 3 speed rear hub. Gearshift is a twist grip, although the rubber has long since gone :) Pump has gone too. Bearings all feel rough but that's not an issue. I might take advice on dismantling that rear hub though :)

My plans are probably to have certain parts that are looking very rusty re-chromed, particularly around the brakes and rods, but not to touch the paintwork (save any bits that might need proper attention). The transfers are barely visible, I haven't decided yet if I'll touch those - I do quite like the idea of putting a new transfer on the chaincase though, as I think it's a point of interest. Talk me out of that one.

It also has a pretty old saddlebag too, with an array of stamped tools in. I don't know if any of these are original.

Re:

Hi, BSA bought the Sunbeam bicycle setup from AMC in 1943, this at first glance looks to be either an AMC Sunbeam or BSA, the chrome cover on fork crown points to this, the old sunbeam serial number was either on the seat lug or head tube, but ! Plenty of info on the interweb. Thanks Terry

BSA from early to mid 50s. The BSA brake adjuster below the handlebars was about 1954, and locks against an internal coil spring.
There were a few late ones that had a rear wheel release that left the cog in place.
When removing rear wheel we used to hang the bike with the front upwards, remove the chain connecting link from the rear cog, then loop lengths of wire through the end of the chain.

I would guess the cost of full restoration would be about 10 times value.

Keith

Found a serial number on the rear non-drive side dropout. Looks to me like "S4 8998"

Attachments

• IMG_20200622_205426.jpg
    IMG_20200622_205426.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 694
keithglos":k9d5oxgq said:
BSA from early to mid 50s. The BSA brake adjuster below the handlebars was about 1954, and locks against an internal coil spring.
There were a few late ones that had a rear wheel release that left the cog in place.
When removing rear wheel we used to hang the bike with the front upwards, remove the chain connecting link from the rear cog, then loop lengths of wire through the end of the chain.

I would guess the cost of full restoration would be about 10 times value.

Keith

Thanks for the info, it's going to be a shopping bike, not a full restoration. The supermarkets around here are all on completely flat roads :) And thankfully there are big plans afoot around Greater Manchester to install popup cycleways everywhere, which I'm slightly involved with (on a volunteer level), so it should be quite a pleasant ride.

The front tyre is melted onto the wheel :D

Does anyone know what model name this was given?

I've started on the front wheel, gonna service the bearings, check the dynamo and remove excess rust. The spoke nipples don't look too bad but we'll see.

Re:

I was retailing these in the early 50s, but can't remember the model. There must be a BSA / Sunbeam catalogue somewhere from 1954.

Keith

I've seen one online from the 1930s (I suspect most people researching have), but nothing later. There's a series of books available to buy but frankly they're too expensive.

Latest posts

Back