Dawes Imperial Specifications 1982-1986

ZG862

Retro Guru
I came across a 1983 catalogue, so with the help of the invaluable https://dawescycles.wordpress.com/ I've done about as much as I can for now.
Itch well and truly scratched, but corrections and gap fills are more than welcome.
If anyone wants the pdf/docx that the attached came from, drop me a pm.

Cheers,
Z
PS/ Should any of Dawes' lawyers be watching and get upset at the homage to their 80's catalogue style, let me know and I'll take it down.

Attachments

• Specifications.jpg
    Specifications.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 1,005
Re: Dawes Imperial Specifications 1992-1986

Thanks for this. I have a Dawes Imperial that has had a few parts replaced but this is perfect for resto reference

Malvern Rider":1uj59vzo said:
Thanks for this. I have a Dawes Imperial that has had a few parts replaced but this is perfect for resto reference

You're very welcome. I just noticed that there's an errant piece of text that failed the doc->pdf conversion but the info is as comprehensive as I know at this point. I failed to mention that the toe straps appear to be Dawes-branded Zefals. Incidentally, what year is yours and do you care to share the frame number?

Mines 1986 (blue) and yes I’ll have a look tmrw for frame no. I need to sell it as it doesn’t get ridden, but am undecided whether to restore first or not.

Some pics

Looks good. These 86 ones are quite interesting as it looks like Dawes tweaked the frame geometry slightly. The fork crown and brake bridge are both lower (I'm pretty sure Weinmann 405s wouldn't reach the rims on the earlier frames) which means that the down tube angle is slightly softer. The brake bridge is of superior quality too. I get the impression that they spent a little more money on the frame and so clawed it back by deleting the chrome forks. Did you notice the "73" stamped into the front of the seat lug? Not sure if they did this on the Mirage or Atlantis that went before but it seems common to all Imperials. I'll have to update my chart. Likewise, Galaxies of this era have 72 btw.

Whilst it would be fantastic to see it "restored" to original, I doubt you'd recoup the investment. Let me know if you do go this route as it might give me the nudge I need to do the artwork for the "Imperial" script. H Lloyd do everything else I think, though don't lose the head badge.

Is the original rear mech anywhere to be found? If it's junk I'm after the pinch nut & bolt from one or if you are in need of parts I have one in my spares stash minus jockey wheels.
Do post the frame number if you get a mo, too. :)

Hi sorry, just got back to this! Interesting stuff. I didn’t notice the 73 on the seat lug! The (chromoplastic?) mudguards are nice though, very lightweight, square-profile and a perfect fit.

This last few weeks I’ve decided after soulseaching/rationalising to spend the effort on doing up my tourer instead, as that’s where I seem to spending my ride-time these days! Sorry I can’t help with rear mech pinch-bolt, but will keep a look out, and thanks for the spares offer!

Imperial will be listed on eBay tonight. The visible frame number (either side of cable guide) is AP2 115

Many thanks and I hope your sale price keeps climbing - it's a steal at the moment.

AF8 826 (a 1985 25¼") just sold on ebay for £250 (link here) and looked in amazingly well preserved nick. I hope the buyer is a Retro Bike member.

Maybe someone can help me identify the dealer? Looks like "Dorr__ Cycles, Knowle" from what I can see on the image. Gold circular badge with DC and the name across it.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I got up close with a 1986 Imperial last week and made a few observations that mean that my table needs updating:
  • 1986's have a more circular fork tubing section that the earlier chrome-forked versions.
    They have Maillard CXC 650 pedals - probably the same as on most earlier models. These have adjustable cones but not the threaded dust covers of the fancier 700 models.
    They have the SR AX 144BCD chainset rather than the CT-5LA found on earlier Imperials

Anyone with a need for one of these should note that there are 2 on ebay right now for peanuts: One described as a "Dawes Vintage Racing Bike", the other as a "Dawes Handbuilt Vintage Bike" (I have no financial connection with either, btw). It always amazes me that the Galaxy seems desirable as a single speed conversion when there are similarly aged Imperials with more appropriate geometry and 531 throughout. I suppose it says something about the value of a brand. :facepalm:

Latest posts

Back