26.4mm Shimano 105 1055 crown race 1" - alternatives???

Ray_72

Dirt Disciple
Hello, just put a "wanted ad" in the other section but my question here, on the pessimistic expectation I am unlucky do you think if I bought say a cheapish new Tange Passage headset just for the crown race it would work?

I would like to continue to use the 105 as the whole bike (a early 90s Condor) is full 105 and it would be a shame to lose this admittedy small detail.

Also I should point out that it does have a low stack height which seems to limit headsets to 105 or Tange Levin.

I can see that the crown race has been "hole-punched" in the past (by a previous owner) to get the 27mm version to grip but it doesnt now and I want to sort this once and for all.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Ray

Re:

BRAIN-WAVE

I suppose I could buy a Tange Levin with correct stack, try the crown race and if it works with the 105 happy days, if it doesnt just fit the Tange in its place.

Any other work arounds?

Re:

Sounds like you still have the original albeit bigger crown race. If so, here's a bodge I have successfully used numerous times. Wrap some painters masking tape (won't need much) around the fork crown steerer and mount the old race. You have the correct thickness of tape when the race mounting needs light use of a hammer.
You must use masking tape, as it doesn't slide or stretch like insulation tape would.
Trust me, it works and aesthetically is hidden

Drinks can also makes a good shim. I think it's 0.15mm from memory. Only thing is it's quite difficult to cut a decent edge without it curling slightly, so although it works well for handlebars where you've got some excess space to squeeze it in, a crown race is a press fit and it can be difficult to get it to stay in place. That said, the last bike I bought had drinks can shim in a 27mm crown race and it was fine.

But almost certainly the Tange crown race will work, assuming it's the same type of crown race i.e. for loose balls or cartridge bearing type. I had to do mine the other way round, I had to find a 27mm crown race to go into my 26mm threaded Russian frankenheadset and shim the headset cups in the head tube.

Fit a Shimano top race, locknut etc. and the Tange at the bottom. Nobody looks at the bottom half of a headset..................

The Stronglight A9 comes in 26.4, although the stack height is on the tall side.

I have one in the parts drawer and the crown race is marked as 26.4 but unfortunately when I dug it out it looks like it was originally fitted using a hammer and screwdriver... not a great idea with a light alloy part. :?

Latest posts

Back