Dura Ace 7700 bike restoration advice

plasma2873

Kona Fan
I have the remnants of a 9 speed Dura Ace groupset (chainset, bb, english and italian) plus a whole range of circa 1998 parts. It seems a shame not to use it, but they do not recover much at auction.

What frame would you guys look to obtain to hang these parts on? I want to do another restoration project, but trying to do so on a frame that would be worth restoring.

Personally I love my Colnago's , but they rarely come cheap enough to warrant rebuilding or without a costly paint job requirement.

Any ideas appreciated.

Stuart

The period that 7700 series Dura-Ace was used in was at around the time of carbon frames starting to become really popular so a such a frame makes sense. A good 'period' correct frame would be a Trek OCLV, I have actually that exact combination of OCLV on 7700-series Dura-Ace; a fantastic bike that rides really well. You mention Colnago; the C40 is probably the most obvious choice for frame for this period.
To complete the 'look' so to speak would be a set of deep rims, again the time of 7700 Dura-Ace being used, was when deep rims were becoming a normal sight in road races. In saying that I use a set of Mavic Open Pros on my OCLV :)
Or you could go really mad and build it up on a Corima Fox aero frame, which is another of my bikes, converted from time trial duties into a more useable road bike :cool:

Re:

Thanks very much for getting back to me. Ironically I sold an early C40 frame a little while ago as I wasn't riding it very much. It was a nice bike, but I also have a Master X-lite and couldn't justify having two Colnago's in the stable.

It does seem a shame to have a such a lovely chainset (actually I have three!) sitting unused, but they don't sell as the Octalink / large BCD combination isn't amenable to riding up hills.

I think I may build up a Colnago Super or similar. I was also toying with updating an old Faggin frame, but both really require a Campagnolo groupset.

Thanks again,

Stuart

Back