Very stuck campag bottom bracket (Solved)

darylw357

Dirt Disciple
Any suggestions on how to get this bottom bracket out? its a cartridge type with alloy cups apparently. I've dumped a lot of plusgas down the seat tube but that hasn't made a dent in it.

The tool bent while I was stood on the frame and using an extension bar over the end of it.

Edit: See my post on page 3.

Attachments

• photo_2020-02-09_19-32-47.jpg
    photo_2020-02-09_19-32-47.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 943
  • photo_2020-02-09_19-32-50.jpg
    photo_2020-02-09_19-32-50.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 943
Re: Very stuck campag bottom bracket

Ill just check for school boy error we all do it the drive side is usually left hand thread so undoes clockwise?

Have you managed to get the other end undone?

Paul R":39qkfogm said:
Ill just check for school boy error we all do it the drive side is usually left hand thread so undoes clockwise?

Have you managed to get the other end undone?

Ah this is the non-drive side, I'm just using the drive crank to hold the tool in place. I'm certain I'm turning it in the correct direction.

Not sure you need to hold the drive side while you attack the non drive side.....

Midlife":3upzsh6c said:
Not sure you need to hold the drive side while you attack the non drive side.....
I don't think he's doing anything with the drive side ?? he's just working on the left side and has mounted the chainset on the left side to hold the tool in place.

i'd have a go at sawing flats on the cup and then putting the sawn (and still attached) cup in a bench vice and holding turning the frame to get some good leverage

British or Italian the left cup would be Right Hand Thread, so in the second picture the blue tool would have to go upwards.

Keith
Probably used some thread locking? Possibly warm it up a bit.
Might have to devise some impact.

Hi Daryl,
I think there are some helpful and confused comments here so far.
Let's try to establish what you have shown and said so far, and progress from there.
If I see your photos and read your descriptions correctly, what you have here is:

1: A stuck non-drive side bottom bracket cup/sleeve.
2. On the same side as which you have held the removal tool on by attaching the drive-side crank and chain rings (which I think is quite inventive).
3. This end of the BB is a Right-hand thread on ALL bike frames (according to Sheldon Brown anyway)
4. . The 1st photo would imply the natural application of force you are applying is downwards on the tool handle (which is what I would be doing with the assembly in that arrangement and frame orientation, and this is a clockwise turning action.
5. If this is correct, you are TIGHTENING the BB sleeve, it being a Right - hand thread.
6.In the 1st photo with the fame that way up with the tool in that position, you need to be pulling that tool handle UPWARDS.
This is turning it COUNTER CLOCKWISE, and with luck will unthread the RH-threaded BB cup/sleeve.

You may have fully tightened that cup/sleeve in your efforts, so may well need to use the other techniques suggested to get adequate purchase and turning force, but you can't lose anything by giving your current way a try first.

Best of luck, and I hope to have been of some help, and managed to make clearer some of the fog of well intentioned suggestions given earlier.
Regards,
Robin.
531Man.

Back