Vintage Bianchi ID Please :)

Zanoli

Old School Hero
Hello,

I got this Bianchi road frame that was cheaply repainted. I managed to remove a little bit of that newer paint job with a razorblade (as advised on here - thanks). The newer paint was thicker on the bottom of the tubes (prob. due to dripping and drying) and easier to remove there but on the top and sides of tubes - where the decals are - it was almost impossible to remove withtout stripping all paint layers and getting to the bare steel.

I discovered a nice blueish celeste underneath, as well as an unusual (at least to me) red / gold decal scheme. No model name or other hints pointing to a model. Full bike was around 9.5Kg for a size 53 and equipped with Nuovo Record (1973 rear derailleur).

Going through internet the only model i found with the same exact same frame / fork features (bare the colour) is this one https://www.steel-vintage.com/bianchi-c ... 198-detail.

Would anyone have information regarding what model it could be ? Also where to find new decals ? And finally what celeste spec is it ?

Cheers,

Z.

Attachments

• Bianchi.jpeg
    Bianchi.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 503
Thanks !
It's probably from the same era, but some details differ on mine : top tube cable guides are brased on, fork crown is chromed and the logo has the line extension on both sides...

You're right, sorry for the lone pic, but the bike looks like a mess right now...
It really is exactly like the one on Steel Vintage to wich i pasted the link - except the colour, everything's the same.
It actually doesn't have much chromed parts (Italians started to extend the chromed parts later on the 80's i think). Mentioning chrome, i was wondering about the shiny coating that i found between the original celeste and the bare steel on seat and chainstays... I don't think it was meant to be shown, maybe just a tube treatment (see pic)

Thanks

Attachments

• Bianchi STays.jpeg
    Bianchi STays.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 484
If the whole length is chrome, then most of it would be seen, if it only extends a little beyond the lugs then only the lugs would be seen.

Thanks ! I think you nailed it here... The "Campione Del Mondo" on page 12 looks similar to mine. Searching this model name lead me to this one https://www.steel-vintage.com/bianchi-c ... 70s-detail wich is identical (incl. details) to mine as well.
This version ("12v") of this model was produced from 1978 to 1982 with little variations (not significant enough for me to date my frame more precisely).

My questions are now : what is the exact Celeste paint ref. of that era ? Where to find these red / gold decals ?

Thanks for your help

Back