Peugeot: Vitus frame tubing

Cab

Retro Guru
I've got a Peugeot Course Frame, guessing early 80's built from Vitus 172. This is not just on the decal, but the main tubes have 172 stamped on them (Reynolds didn't feel the need for that!) It has Simplex drop outs, & some ok lugs. Looks/feels about as light as my 531 frame so thinking of building it as a fixie; but its the forks that concern me, as they have an obvious seam up each tube. Will they be reliable or should I fit something else?

Thanks for the info. it was the seams I was worried about, but if the steerer's dodgy they're definitley binned. Haven't found any potential weak spots on the frame yet.

I know someone raced one for a few seasons and that's survived ok. I think the frames are good if you look after them.

If they're vitus forks get some new ones on, they break easily at the steerer.

This is a steel frame and forks, so I don't think there's any reason to think it should be any less reliable than something like 531. Seamed tubing is usually a sign of lower level tubing, but it's not necessarily unsafe. High-grade seamed tubing were made, but I can't remember the manufacturer(s).

However, the Vitus alu bonded frames did have alu steerers, so might be more susceptible to fatigue damage.

Maybe I'll give them a try then. They look good, chrome & half paint. The frame doesn't look to have had much use.

Back